Posted to hdfs-user@hadoop.apache.org by Remy Dubois <rd...@talend.com> on 2014/06/11 13:37:29 UTC

Cross platform Application submission

Hi everyone,

I looked at these issues :

·         https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/YARN-1824

·         https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAPREDUCE-4052

I've noticed the property "mapreduce.app-submission.cross-platform" must be set on the client side in order to allow my application to be sent from windows and to be executed on my Linux cluster.
I just wonder why this property is required. I guess it's been created for non-regression purpose, but could somebody explain to me which kind of use case could be broken if I set this property to "true" in all my use cases?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Rémy

Re: Cross platform Application submission

Posted by Jian He <jh...@hortonworks.com>.
In the scenario that people use a newer version of MR client (with the
cross-platform syntax ) to submit to an old version of Linux cluster which
won't understand the cross-platform syntax, if this property is set to
"true", it'll break.
That's where this configs comes in to guard this use case. Copied a comment
link from jira also. Permalink
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAPREDUCE-4052?focusedCommentId=13926115&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-13926115>

Thanks,
Jian

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Cross platform Application submission

Posted by Jian He <jh...@hortonworks.com>.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Cross platform Application submission

Posted by Jian He <jh...@hortonworks.com>.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Cross platform Application submission

Posted by Jian He <jh...@hortonworks.com>.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE