Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by Andrew Stitcher <as...@apache.org> on 2018/04/20 21:57:47 UTC

[Proton Python binding] Heads Up: Removing support for python versions before 2.6

I've been doing some work on the proton python code recently and I've
noticed we're carrying around code to support python 2.5 and perhaps
even 2.4.

The only Python 2 version that is still maintained by python.org is
2.7. But RHEL 6/CentOS 6 still support Python 2.6.

So I've started removing the support for the earlier versions of
python. This simplifies the code somewhat and moves the python code
much closer to conventional python.

Given that Python 2 stops being maintained at all in a couple of years
and "everyone" is migrating to Python 3, I think this should be
uncontroversial - any opposition?

Andrew

Re: [Proton Python binding] Heads Up: Removing support for python versions before 2.6

Posted by Ken Giusti <kg...@redhat.com>.
No objection here.

Thanks,

On Fri, Apr 20, 2018 at 5:57 PM, Andrew Stitcher <as...@apache.org> wrote:
> I've been doing some work on the proton python code recently and I've
> noticed we're carrying around code to support python 2.5 and perhaps
> even 2.4.
>
> The only Python 2 version that is still maintained by python.org is
> 2.7. But RHEL 6/CentOS 6 still support Python 2.6.
>
> So I've started removing the support for the earlier versions of
> python. This simplifies the code somewhat and moves the python code
> much closer to conventional python.
>
> Given that Python 2 stops being maintained at all in a couple of years
> and "everyone" is migrating to Python 3, I think this should be
> uncontroversial - any opposition?
>
> Andrew

-K