Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org> on 2002/06/07 20:03:24 UTC

Release date for 4.0.4

Is there a FAQ that states when releases occur? I see there is a vote by
committers, but no more information. In particular - I am interested in
when Tomcat 4.0.4 final may be released. Or are there plans for a beta4
first?

Re: Release date for 4.0.4

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Fri, 7 Jun 2002, Tim Funk wrote:

> Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2002 14:03:24 -0400
> From: Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>
> To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: Release date for 4.0.4
>
> Is there a FAQ that states when releases occur? I see there is a vote by
> committers, but no more information. In particular - I am interested in
> when Tomcat 4.0.4 final may be released. Or are there plans for a beta4
> first?

Releases happen "when they are ready."  :-)

>From a user perspective, what you saw about votes of committers is all
there is to go on.  Committers -- and especially the release manager --
make a judgement call about the relative risk of the patches that have
been applied since the preceeding beta, and decides whether or not the
next release should be called a beta or not.  (You should know that, for
Tomcat versions < 4.1, the difference between a beta and a final release
is basically wrapped up in what the release manager proposes -- there is
not really any quantitative difference in the amount of pre-release
testing that goes on, so waiting for the "final" release and hoping it
is higher quality, simply because of that label, is pretty silly.)

For Tomcat 4.1.x, the Tomcat developers have adopted a version labelling
scheme similar to that used for the Apache web server, and several other
Jakarta projects -- a version "4.1.x" release will be made without any
label that implies quality.  After the release has been in the field for a
while, it will be declared "alpha", "beta", "release", or "abandoned" (if
a showstopper bug occurs).  On this basis, the 4.1.3 release was declared
to be "beta" quality based on the feedback of those who tested it, and
didn't find any showstopper bugs.  There are still things on the TODO
list, or it would have been declared final.

Craig McClanahan