Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Dane Laverty <da...@gmail.com> on 2009/07/23 03:40:19 UTC

Spring and Wicket - is it worth it?

Due to the fact that nearly every substantial sample Wicket app is
Spring-based, I imagine that there's something awesome about using Spring.
In fact, Wicket is what has finally gotten me to start learning Spring.

I think I understand the basics of dependency injection -- configure your
objects in xml files and then inject them into your classes -- but I'm still
not clear on the advantage of it. I've read quite a ways into "Spring in
Action", and the author seems to assume that the reader will automatically
see why xml-based dependency injection is great thing. I must just be
missing something here. What I love about Wicket is being free from xml
files. Can anyone give me a concise explanation of how the advantages of
Spring are worth introducing a new layer into my applications?

Dane

RE: Spring and Wicket - is it worth it?

Posted by Russell Simpkins <ru...@hotmail.com>.

> On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 8:40 PM, Dane Laverty<da...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Due to the fact that nearly every substantial sample Wicket app is
> > Spring-based, I imagine that there's something awesome about using Spring.
> > In fact, Wicket is what has finally gotten me to start learning Spring.
> >
> > I think I understand the basics of dependency injection -- configure your
> > objects in xml files and then inject them into your classes -- but I'm still
> > not clear on the advantage of it. I've read quite a ways into "Spring in
> > Action", and the author seems to assume that the reader will automatically
> > see why xml-based dependency injection is great thing. I must just be
> > missing something here. What I love about Wicket is being free from xml
> > files. Can anyone give me a concise explanation of how the advantages of
> > Spring are worth introducing a new layer into my applications?
> >
> > Dane

Personally, I have found Spring to be very beneficial and pretty easy to learn. I really don't mind xml and as a framework it does offer a lot of nice features that are really easy to tie into your application. Spring has very well written documentation that I found very easy to follow. I really like the message driven beans, helper classes for stuff like Hibernate and IBatis, Email is SUPER easy, Cron scheduling is cake and if you need MVC, theirs is well written and easy to use. Aceigi integration with Spring is very nice - switching http/https is easy and you can apply very fine grained access control (though these docs aren't very fun to read.) I'm new to Wicket, but we've used Spring to configure our service layer and made use of annotations so that our XML file isn't all that big.
You don't need to use Spring, but once you start to use it, you may find at least some features are really cool.
Russ
Windows Live™ SkyDrive™: Store, access, and share your photos. See how.
http://windowslive.com/Online/SkyDrive?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_CS_SD_photos_072009

Re: Spring and Wicket - is it worth it?

Posted by Stephen Haberman <st...@exigencecorp.com>.
> I wasn't saying that's the only other way - just unfortunately the one
> a lot choose.

I'll give you that. :-)

- Stephen

Re: Spring and Wicket - is it worth it?

Posted by Jeremy Thomerson <je...@wickettraining.com>.
On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 10:45 PM, Stephen
Haberman<st...@exigencecorp.com> wrote:
> OO has a nice way of dealing with switch statements: polymorphism.

Yeah - but all the apps I've seen where I was consulting that didn't
use Spring had a ton of switch statements to create all of their
services / db connections / etc...  I wasn't saying that's the only
other way - just unfortunately the one a lot choose.

--
Jeremy Thomerson
http://www.wickettraining.com

Re: Spring and Wicket - is it worth it?

Posted by Stephen Haberman <st...@exigencecorp.com>.
> Better than hard-coding a bunch of big switch statements.

OO has a nice way of dealing with switch statements: polymorphism.

If you know the environments up-front, you can define an interface and
have each environment class implement it. Though, if you're defining
environments on the fly, then, yeah, that becomes harder.

Lack of abstraction is generally what plauges anything XML though--look
at ant.

- Stephen

Re: Spring and Wicket - is it worth it?

Posted by Jeremy Thomerson <je...@wickettraining.com>.
I use it to deploy the same Wicket application to a dozen different
sites.  Each of them has their own configuration / some with different
services, etc.  Better than hard-coding a bunch of big switch
statements.  The same applies for loading dev / staging / production
configuration.

--
Jeremy Thomerson
http://www.wickettraining.com

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 8:40 PM, Dane Laverty<da...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Due to the fact that nearly every substantial sample Wicket app is
> Spring-based, I imagine that there's something awesome about using Spring.
> In fact, Wicket is what has finally gotten me to start learning Spring.
>
> I think I understand the basics of dependency injection -- configure your
> objects in xml files and then inject them into your classes -- but I'm still
> not clear on the advantage of it. I've read quite a ways into "Spring in
> Action", and the author seems to assume that the reader will automatically
> see why xml-based dependency injection is great thing. I must just be
> missing something here. What I love about Wicket is being free from xml
> files. Can anyone give me a concise explanation of how the advantages of
> Spring are worth introducing a new layer into my applications?
>
> Dane

Re: Spring and Wicket - is it worth it?

Posted by Be...@actrix.co.nz.
I am using EJB 3.0. So easy to work with. Toplink, GlassFish do
everything. The ORM creates my tables from POJOs, transactions are a
no-brainer. Comes with NetBeans out of the box. Why don't more users
write about it?

Most of the time is spent on coding web pages (messy due to browser
bugs and high user demands). Wicket is fun and easy. Business logic
and all the persistence stuff are not issues that occupy my mind.

What do you think about that?

Bernard

Posted by Daniel Stoch <da...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

If you don't want to use xml you can configure your beans in pure Java.
See "Spring Java Configuration Project": http://www.springsource.org/javaconfig

--
Daniel

Re: Use Guice....

Posted by Peter Ertl <pe...@gmx.org>.
salve!

Re: Use Guice....

Posted by Jeroen Steenbeeke <j....@gmail.com>.
If Dependency Injection is all you want to do then indeed Spring may not be
the best choice, but in my case at least I use it for more than that, as I
also use the Spring Transaction Manager and Spring Mailer.
Also, Spring does seem to cater mainly to XML fetishists, but they do offer
alternatives:
 <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

Re: Use Guice....

Posted by francisco treacy <fr...@gmail.com>.

Re: Use Guice....

Posted by Uwe Schäfer <sc...@thomas-daily.de>.
Johannes Schneider schrieb:
> It's the better Spring ;-)

agreed!

Use Guice....

Posted by Johannes Schneider <ma...@cedarsoft.com>.
It's the better Spring ;-)

Posted by Jeremy Thomerson <je...@wickettraining.com>.
On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 10:42 PM, Jason Wang<ja...@bulletin.net> wrote:
> You dont have to use spring with wicket. Spring is a business layer
> framework essentially. It gives you so much convenience to decouple
>  services from its clients. I tried to use it to manage all the web
> components, then I realized that doesnt give me much at all. Sometimes, a
> simple "new Page("id")" is just a better solution.

This is a very important point.  We occasionally get questions on how
to use factory patterns for components.  It's simply not worth it.
Spring is for your middle-tier (and down) - not web.

Posted by Jason Wang <ja...@bulletin.net>.
Dane Laverty wrote:
> Due to the fact that nearly every substantial sample Wicket app is
> Spring-based, I imagine that there's something awesome about using Spring.
> In fact, Wicket is what has finally gotten me to start learning Spring.
>
> I think I understand the basics of dependency injection -- configure your
> objects in xml files and then inject them into your classes -- but I'm still
> not clear on the advantage of it. I've read quite a ways into "Spring in
> Action", and the author seems to assume that the reader will automatically
> see why xml-based dependency injection is great thing. I must just be
> missing something here. What I love about Wicket is being free from xml
> files. Can anyone give me a concise explanation of how the advantages of
> Spring are worth introducing a new layer into my applications?
>
> Dane

You dont have to use spring with wicket. Spring is a business layer
framework essentially. It gives you so much convenience to decouple
services from its clients. I tried to use it to manage all the web
components, then I realized that doesnt give me much at all. Sometimes,
a simple "new Page("id")" is just a better solution.

But I do encourage you to learn spring, especially if you value
automated tests. I cannot live with it now.

Jas

Re: Spring and Wicket - is it worth it?

Posted by Erik Post <er...@gmail.com>.
I agree that Wicket, although it's really 'only' a view framework, could do with
a couple of straightforward examples in this area, because:

- A view framework without any persistence going on isn't typically very useful;
- It's important, if only to learn where, how and with what to hook
into various
server/session/request/... lifecycle stages correctly;
- Wicket should be as easy as possible to get into, and this is rather
a major point, I should think;
- Spring, while very useful, is just a wee bit beside the point
sometimes, and you're better off using it _after_ you understand
what's going on anyway. (Besides, how else could you tell if it would
useful to begin with?)

Cheers,
Erik

Posted by Dane Laverty <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by John Krasnay <jo...@krasnay.ca>.

Posted by Martin Makundi <ma...@koodaripalvelut.com>.
I will vote NO.

Why? Because YAGNI.

**
Martin

Re: Spring and Wicket - is it worth it?

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
For automated classpath scanning, with limited XML, see
http://wicketinaction.com/2009/06/wicketspringhibernate-configuration/

Martijn

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 3:40 AM, Dane Laverty<da...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Due to the fact that nearly every substantial sample Wicket app is
> Spring-based, I imagine that there's something awesome about using Spring.
> In fact, Wicket is what has finally gotten me to start learning Spring.
>
> I think I understand the basics of dependency injection -- configure your
> objects in xml files and then inject them into your classes -- but I'm still
> not clear on the advantage of it. I've read quite a ways into "Spring in
> Action", and the author seems to assume that the reader will automatically
> see why xml-based dependency injection is great thing. I must just be
> missing something here. What I love about Wicket is being free from xml
> files. Can anyone give me a concise explanation of how the advantages of
> Spring are worth introducing a new layer into my applications?
>
> Dane

Apache Wicket 1.3.5 is released

Re: Spring and Wicket - is it worth it?

Posted by Erik van Oosten <e....@grons.nl>.
Spring gives flexibility in your services layer (whatever you call it).
Making things transactional, adding memoization, talking to remote
interfaces, configuring Hibernate and JMX beans, all that kind of stuff is
easy with Spring and often unbelievably hard without.

As said, Spring has no value in a Wicket application with the exception of
calling out to the service layer. This is where the @SpringBean comes in
handy.

Regards,
    Erik.