Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Peter Blemel <pb...@hotmail.com> on 2022/01/24 02:18:09 UTC

"Original" NB tutorials?

Hi,

After looking through the tutorials, the thing that jumps out at me the most is that many of them have incorrect illustrations. I used many of these tutorials "back in the day", and recall that the illustrations were not such a jumble.  If someone can point me to the original directories from before they were moved, I will try to get the right images back into their respective tutorials in the GitHub repo before moving on to updating individual tutorials.

Thanks,
Peter

Re: "Original" NB tutorials?

Posted by antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.
Hi all,

So we no have a PR with the proper images [1], I think. I'd appreciate
some pairs of less tired eyes taking another look before merging.

Thanks,
Antonio

[1]
https://github.com/apache/netbeans-website/pull/581

Re: "Original" NB tutorials?

Posted by Peter Blemel <pb...@hotmail.com>.
By the way, this tarball only has the new images.  My onedrive is low on space, so I left out all of the existing image folders. Consequently, any new tutorial or any tutorial with a changed image probably is broken.  I'll need to sort that out.

Peter
________________________________
Posted by Arafat BOUCHAFRA <ar...@gmail.com>.
Hi Peter,

Me too, I have asked Geertjan about re-starting the NetBeans
certifications, but saw that it needs a well engaged team, to write
tutorials, code examples, and then the test exams.

So, if you're interested, I'll be so pretty happy to get involved in a such
project.

King regards

Re: "Original" NB tutorials?

AW: "Original" NB tutorials?

Re: "Original" NB tutorials?

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.

Re: "Original" NB tutorials?

Posted by Eric Bresie <eb...@gmail.com>.

Re: "Original" NB tutorials?

Posted by antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.
Hi again, Peter,

Re: "Original" NB tutorials?

Re: "Original" NB tutorials?

Re: "Original" NB tutorials?

Re: "Original" NB tutorials?

Posted by antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.
Hi Peter,

Re: "Original" NB tutorials?

Posted by Brad Hards <br...@frogmouth.net>.
On Wednesday, 26 January 2022 7:34:09 AM AEDT antonio wrote:
> Yep, .html files have an exact match to .asciidoc files (but for certain
> index files, see [2]).
When merging, please remember that some of the tutorials have already been
updated. So that archive is not 1:1 with the current content.

Brad

Re: "Original" NB tutorials?

Posted by antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.
Hi Peter,

Yep, .html files have an exact match to .asciidoc files (but for certain
index files, see [2]).

No git really required. You can download the whole website as a zip file
from [1]. The directory you're looking for is
"netbeans.apache.org/src/content/tutorials/" (you may want to unzip that
one only).

Once done we can tackle the git aspects :-).

Cheers,
Antonio

P.S.: I was thinking we may want to use a Lua script instead...

[1]
https://github.com/apache/netbeans-website/archive/refs/heads/master.zip

[2]
#!/usr/bin/env sh

# Run this on the directory containing asciidoc files

HTML_DIRECTORY=/home/antonio/REPOS/NETBEANS/platform-tutorials/tutorials
IMAGE_DIRECTORY=/home/antonio/REPOS/NETBEANS/platform-tutorials/images/

for A in `find . -name "*.asciidoc"`
do
     H_NAME=`echo $A | sed 's-asciidoc-html-g'`
     H="$HTML_DIRECTORY/$H_NAME"
     if [ ! -f $H ]; then
         echo "Missing HTML file for $A"
         exit 1
     fi
     echo "$A - $H_NAME"
done

---
[...]
./70/nbm-maven-modulesuite_ru.asciidoc - ./70/nbm-maven-modulesuite_ru.html
./70/nbm-quick-search.asciidoc - ./70/nbm-quick-search.html
./70/nbm-code-generator_pt_BR.asciidoc - ./70/nbm-code-generator_pt_BR.html
./70/nbm-visual_library3.asciidoc - ./70/nbm-visual_library3.html
Missing HTML file for ./70/index_zh_CN.asciidoc
---

This means that "index_zh_CN.asciidoc" has not a corresponding
"./70/index_zh_CN.html" file. You can probably dismiss that one.

Re: "Original" NB tutorials?

Posted by Peter Blemel <pb...@hotmail.com>.
Antonio,

Getting unique image names was probably the heavier lift. If I know which html file is the original for which asciidoc file, I can probably write a script to fix up the image file names in the asciidoc.  Is it safe to assume that the "latest" html file was used for the current asciidoc file?  I can clone the repo.  I personally use Mercurial, so I'll need to brush up on my git fu to push any changes back.

From there, I can maybe start updating the images themselves as I work through the tutorials.

Peter

________________________________
Posted by antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.
Hi Peter,

Re: "Original" NB tutorials?

Posted by Peter Blemel <pb...@hotmail.com>.

[https://outlook-2.cdn.office.net/assets/mail/file-icon/png/generic_16x16.png]flat-tutorials.tgz<https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArASQL2pSWgomUonDIkTyvHqKESd?e=9u8l5d>

________________________________

Re: "Original" NB tutorials?

Posted by antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.
Hi,

Re: "Original" NB tutorials?

Re: "Original" NB tutorials?

Posted by antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.
Of course!

Re: "Original" NB tutorials?

Posted by Peter Blemel <pb...@hotmail.com>.
Antonio,

Re: "Original" NB tutorials?

Posted by antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.
Hi Peter,

domain "platform.netbeans.org" and not from "www.netbeans.org". So these

Re: "Original" NB tutorials?

Re: "Original" NB tutorials?

Posted by antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.
Hi Peter,

Re: "Original" NB tutorials?

Posted by Peter Blemel <pb...@hotmail.com>.
That was my guess.  Thanks, I'll take a look.

Peter

________________________________
On Monday, 24 January 2022 1:18:09 PM AEDT Peter Blemel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After looking through the tutorials, the thing that jumps out at me the most
> is that many of them have incorrect illustrations. I used many of these
> tutorials "back in the day", and recall that the illustrations were not
> such a jumble.
When I worked these, it looked like some tutorials had images that used the
same names, and there was overwriting when the directory structure was
flattened.

> If someone can point me to the original directories from
> before they were moved, I will try to get the right images back into their
> respective tutorials in the GitHub repo before moving on to updating
> individual tutorials.
I can only suggest the archive. For example:
https://web.archive.org/web/20190103205150/https://netbeans.org/kb/index.html

Note that some of the images are so old that they are misleading. Regenerating
them would be ideal, and I found it easier than trying to find the old images.

Brad

Re: "Original" NB tutorials?

Posted by Brad Hards <br...@frogmouth.net>.