Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us> on 2012/11/07 12:20:58 UTC

Re: git commit: cli: pip install cloudmonkey works

Rohit:

I saw the below commit, and then this:

http://pypi.python.org/pypi/cloudmonkey/0.0.4

Is this a release of a portion of the CloudStack codebase? (This
wasn't in the 4.0.0-incubating release was it?)
Did I miss a discussion of the publication on list somewhere?

--David

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.
On Sat, Nov 10, 2012 at 2:40 AM, Rohit Yadav <ro...@citrix.com> wrote:
> Hi Chip,
>
> I've added a notice on pypi page saying that it's not an official Apache CloudStack distribution, published and maintained by community member(s) and listed the author/maintainer fields as in tools/cli/setup.py: https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-cloudstack.git;a=blob;f=tools/cli/setup.py;h=627a938e5ba1280356d42f02267e6eb6db47c6b1;hb=29978bdb8160c46fd8d047807b074048a7c7381d

Thanks for making this change Rohit!

> We can have more than one person as admin on the pypi distribution, please let me know I will add anyone who wants to administrate.
> Alright, if other projects do it along with their release process then we should upload it officially on pypi starting 4.1.0 after voting/release process.

We'll need to figure out how others handle the use of external package
repos, and community access.  Should this be opened up for any
committer?  Should it be limited to people that are acting as release
managers (which can actually be any committer)?

> Till 4.1.0 release we can keep the notice and use it for non-official releases.
> Lastly, not sure about listing ASF as the author, I used "The Apache CloudStack Team" (like in top level pom.xml).

Perfect!

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@citrix.com>.
I agree with you. So here's what I did, I added a notice stating that it's not an official distribution but added author as the whole CloudStack team and myself as maintainer. I don't know about the url, should I remove it? The version number is also different than CloudStack's (actually reverse). No harm intended, please let me know if I should change something.

Regards.
>>> Is this a release of a portion of the CloudStack codebase? (This
>>> wasn't in the 4.0.0-incubating release was it?)
>>> Did I miss a discussion of the publication on list somewhere?
>>
>> I released it on pypi (cheese shop) without asking anyone. I did that so a user can simply get the cli using pip or easy_install.
>>
>> Do I need to go through some process to release the cli on pypi, think like maven snapshots?
>> I'm sorry if I did anything wrong, I'm unsure and don't know the release process for distributing client snapshots or python libs such as marvin which are within the source code. Starting 4.1.0 we can distribute cli etc. along with the release.
>>
>> Regards.
>
> First, let me say that I love the CLI, and am really happy to see it
> under development.  Though now that I look at this closely, I think
> there might be a couple of issues to discuss here.  This is IMO, so
> others should chime in.
>
> In reality, we're using the very permissive ASLv2 license for the
> project, and technically, on pypi, you've not identified the package
> as an official CloudStack project.  You could consider that listing on
> Pypi as the "Rohit distro" of the tool.  Also, you retain the
> copyright to your work and just grant a liberal license to the ASF.
> INAL, but AFAIK you did nothing *legally* wrong.

This is largerly where my concern stems from. On pypi, you list the
project home as the project site. Which would seem to infer that it's
an ASF project. There's a 'release' with a release number; but the
project has not voted on that release, (and in our case, the IPMC
hasn't sanctioned such a release either). While I agree with Chip that
there is nothing legally wrong here, and if it was clearer that you
were doing this as an individual effort, and not publishing a release
on behalf of the project, it would be a non-issue; the process problem
within the ASF is problematic IMO.

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@citrix.com>.
Hi David,

Yes, the cli is part of the codebase in master's tools/cli and license wise compliant.

No, it was not part of 4.0 and was recently committed only last week to fix this feature issue:
which was requested here too:
and you may search ML for CLI related emails.

It's not part of the 4.0 release, but will work for 4.0 release and later as long as APIs don't change and are backwards compatible.
I put that on pypi so anyone can give it a try.

Regards,
Rohit