Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by Gregor Karlinger <gr...@iaik.at> on 2000/09/05 21:47:26 UTC

XPath extension functions

Hi all!

I am using only the XPath processing parts of Xalan/Java, i. e.
no XSLT related functionality.

I have to add an additional function to the set of available
function for processing an XPath expression. The function can be
described as follows:

name: here

input parameter: none

output parameter: a XPath node set containing either an attribute
                  or a processing instruction node

I have glanced some documentation files and the API documentation,
and I guess I have to extend the function

  org.apache.xalan.xpath.Function

The open questions from my point of view are:

* Which of the two "execute" methods do I have to overwrite?

* What do the arguments of these "execute" methods mean?

* What is the linking between the name of my Xpath function
  and its implementing class, i. e. how can I tell Xalan where
  it can find the associated function implementation for a
  XPath function?

Can anybody provide some hints how I can work this out?

Thanks, Gregor
Gregor Karlinger
mailto://gregor.karlinger@iaik.at
http://www.iaik.at