Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Paddy Steed <pa...@googlemail.com> on 2008/01/30 18:30:55 UTC

[users@httpd] chmod

how do you set chmod file permissions I could do it with ftp with my old hosting providers but now I got my own servers I don't know how to set it up. does anyone know how to set it up???

Re: [users@httpd] chmod

Posted by Morgan <0....@gmail.com>.
Paddy Steed wrote:
> how do you set chmod file permissions I could do it with ftp with my
> old hosting providers but now I got my own servers I don't know how to
> set it up. does anyone know how to set it up???
this depends on your:
a) server type (windows/unix)
b) FTP settings

its not apache here its your FTP server. Windows does not support CHMOD,
so theres no need to worry about it, however some FTP servers can handle
the CHMOD quite nicely.

Under linux/unix, its harder. you need an installed/configured FTP
server (read the documentation). I reccomend ProFTPD... its simplest to
find one that you like though.

--
Morgan Gangwere
Unknown Software

Re: [users@httpd] chmod

Posted by Doug McNutt <do...@macnauchtan.com>.
At 17:30 +0000 1/30/08, Paddy Steed wrote:
><HTML><HEAD>
><META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
>charset=3Diso-8859-1">
><META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.6000.16587" name=3DGENERATOR>
><STYLE></STYLE>
></HEAD>
><BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
><DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>how do you set chmod file permissions I =
>could do it=20
>with ftp with my old hosting providers but now I got my own servers I =
>don't know=20
>how to set it up. does anyone know how to set it=20
>up???</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

On a command line machine type "man chmod" and read how to use the tool to change permissions,

chmod 622 file  #  is typical

I see that you're a Windows user and I donno how to do it there but there is a Console application which probably emulates UNIX commands

--
--> If  it's not  on  fire  it's  a  software  problem. <--