Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com> on 2003/08/07 06:23:26 UTC

master detail records displayed in a portlet

We are fairly new to Jetspeed and have made pretty good progress dispite the
documentation.

We are wondering how to create the following fairly common web page
structure.
We have three identical problems. List of case studies, list of white
papers, list of training courses.
In each case, we want to present the user with the list and when they click
on one of them, show them the details of that item.

The information is in one or more XML files. (list of items in one XML that
links to the many individual XML files containing the details of te item.)

The first problem is that we do not see how we can use separate portlets
since we only want either the list or one of the items on the screen at once
and we do not the menu to change while the user navigates within the topic.

If we use a single portlet, then we need to be able to respond to selection
of one item (a Case Study for example) by clearing the list and displaying
the selected document (the Case Study).
We have the xsl stylesheets to display the initial list and the details of
the idividual item.

1) Are we on the right track and understanding the problem in a reasonable
way?
2) Which portlet type would be the best way to handle this?
3) Does anyone have a model that we could see/use for this type of
application?
4) Should we be looking at Velocity/DVSL rather than XSLT if we are going to
work with Jetspeed?

Thanks for the help.

Ron

AW: master detail records displayed in a portlet

Posted by Joachim Müller <jo...@wemove.com>.
maybe this would be a nice chapter for the docs:

tweaking jetspeed

joachim

Posted by Carlos Orrego <or...@inflexa.com>.

Posted by Carlos Orrego <or...@inflexa.com>.

Posted by Joachim Müller <jo...@wemove.com>.
Hi Carlos.

Posted by Carlos Orrego <or...@inflexa.com>.

Posted by Carlos Orrego <or...@inflexa.com>.

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
Thanks

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
Thanks

Posted by Vic Cekvenich <ma...@baseBeans.com>.

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/basicportal/bPproj/bP/WEB-INF/portlets/cms/ContentAdminLst.jsp

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/basicportal/bPproj/bP/WEB-INF/config/navigation.xml

Posted by Vic Cekvenich <ma...@baseBeans.com>.

RE: width of IFramePortlet

Posted by Mark Orciuch <ma...@ngsltd.com>.
There are 'width' and 'height' parameters defined in registry. These are
exposed in the portlet customizer if you use 1.4-b5-dev (CVS head).

Best regards,

Mark Orciuch - morciuch@apache.org
http://jakarta.apache.org/jetspeed/

width of IFramePortlet

RE: Velocity vs JSP

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
Thanks for the strategy and the code fragment.

Without getting into theology, what is the current thinking about JSP versus
Velocity?
As a latecomer to the server side development wars, we have done one fairly
large and complex application in JSP and XML.
The Jetspeed framework looks like it might be easier and more productive
than continuing to develop our own portal architecture.
I was not the coder on the JSP/XML portal but I am getting more technically
involved in the investigation of Jetspeed and Velocity.

Bottom Line question

If I have to prioritize my education (which -for better or worse - drives
the corporate strategy), should I focus on learning Velocity or learn how to
use JSP?
I do not care about "working on my resumé" since I am way too old to make a
living as a programmer. I am only trying to try to keep the company at the
most productive point of the technology spectrum.

I reference to a white paper would be the best anwer to this question.

RE: Velocity vs JSP

Posted by "D.S. Johnson" <ds...@insightbb.com>.

Posted by "D.S. Johnson" <ds...@insightbb.com>.

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
On Monday, August 11, 2003, at 02:36  PM, Ron Wheeler wrote:

> I got some very good ideas from this original question before it
> wandered
> off into a discussion of tuning.
> I would really like to hear from someone who has an example of a
> master/detail processing in Velocity before I strike off into the
> unknown
> based on JSP examples that I received. They where very helpful in
> understanding the principle.

Take a look at the jetspeed tutorial example, chapter 9,
DatabaseBrowser portlet

--
David Sean Taylor
Bluesunrise Software

Re: master detail records displayed in a portlet

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.