Posted to dev@tinkerpop.apache.org by Marko Rodriguez <ok...@gmail.com> on 2015/09/02 15:27:14 UTC

Contributing to TinkerPop -- Please do not rush your work.

Hello,

If you are going to commit work to a branch that is about to be released, either do it right or save it for another release. We can not have last minute features causing problems for our committers and our users.

In particular, as an example, I'm calling out BulkLoaderVertexProgram. Why was including this feature bad for 3.0.1?

	1. Work was being done on it up to the last minute where our release was delayed a day because of it.
	2. There are no docs written about the feature and thus, the work is NOT complete (docs are the other 1/2 of the solution).
	3. The rush to get the feature in caused sloppy hacks -- ComputerVerificationStrategy exception addition, configuration keys that don't conform to standard practices, ??.
	4. It required the time of other committers to focus on this as opposed to doing their work thus, effecting their attention to other details of the release.
	5. Stephen and I are now having to spend time figuring out how to do the 3.0.1 release --- time and focus wasted on pointless inanities.

If you are not going to do things right, then please save your work for another release when you have the time to think, document, and test things thoroughly. In particular to BLVP, there is no reason to slip this feature in to 3.0.1. Why not save it for 3.1.0?

In short, please don't procrastinate (though I think BLVP was more of a rush issue) and don't make hasty decisions to "just get things working."

Give a hoot, don't pollute.

Thank you,
Marko.

http://markorodriguez.com

Re: Contributing to TinkerPop -- Please do not rush your work.

Posted by Stephen Mallette <sp...@gmail.com>.
> Who's responsible for the HA implementation? Michael Hunger?

Well, Michael Hunger would be the person to talk to about it.  I pinged him
on it last week but didn't get a response yet.  I'm not so sure he has to
do it specifically though - if he's busy we might be able to do it.  He
would have to do the actual release of a stable version though.  Let's try
to settle 3.0.1 and then we can talk more about HA support.

> What's the deadline for 3.0.2?

No plan yet, but I suspect it would be partially driven by
the availability of this feature.

Posted by Daniel Kuppitz <me...@gremlin.guru>.

Posted by Stephen Mallette <sp...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daniel Kuppitz <me...@gremlin.guru>.

Posted by Stephen Mallette <sp...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marko Rodriguez <ok...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

For the docs on BLVP, can't you just load TinkerGraph (with "modern") into TinkerGraph (empty)? Why does it need Spark/Giraph?

Note that TinkerGraph has ConcurrentHashMap for vertices/edges. I don't know how parallel writes would work, but worth trying.

Marko.

http://markorodriguez.com

Posted by Daniel Kuppitz <me...@gremlin.guru>.

Posted by Stephen Mallette <sp...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matt Frantz <ma...@gmail.com>.
Process improvement suggestion: How about a "hack freeze" period before a
release, so that all changes must go through PR and code review by a peer?