Posted to slide-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Oliver Zeigermann <ol...@zeigermann.de> on 2004/07/26 17:30:45 UTC

Poll: Slide 2.1 Release

To be on the save side, please check if you agree with the following 2.1
release plan:

- Feature freeze: August 1st
- Creation of release branch for full beta->rc->final->maintenance
cycle: August 2nd
- Beta1 release: Ausust 10th
- Max. number of beta releases: 2 (with at most 4 weeks between them)
- Max. number of release candidates: 2 (with at most 2 weeks between them)
- Release Manager: Oliver Zeigermann (will be his final Slide release)

Anything missing? Anything you disagree with?

Oliver

Re: Poll: Slide 2.1 Release

Posted by Ingo Brunberg <ib...@fiz-chemie.de>.

> >> Hmmmm, I am not quite sure, as server and client really became
> >> seperate projects.
> >>

> > But the class definitions look 90% similar to me. Why would you NOT want
> > that code consolidated. It just needs to be sorted out and the build
> > system needs to be changed a bit. If noone beats me to it I volunteer to
> > do it. Probably won't have time before beta1 though.
>
> I was wondering, this code looks so general isn't it available somewhere
> else in Jakarta? Maybe in commons?

Yes, that's a good idea. Most of that stuff is available in Commons
Codec, which will also be used by Commons Httpclient.

Furthermore, I think the client library actually uses only a small
subset of the classes left in org.apache.util, so most of that could
be eliminated anyway.

The most heavily used parts are for sure the XMLPrinter and the
DOMUtils. Now that Daniel (was it him?) has introduced a dependency on
JDOM, I wonder if we could replace the use of these classes by their
JDOM equivalents. However I would like to hear other opinions on this
as I have no experience with JDOM myself.

Ingo

Re: Poll: Slide 2.1 Release

Posted by Oliver Zeigermann <oz...@c1-fse.de>.
Unico Hommes wrote:

> Oliver Zeigermann wrote:
>
>> Unico Hommes wrote:

>>> I don't want to delay the release for this. ACL does need
>>> improvements, they will just have to wait until version 2.2.
>>> Releasing early and often is important too.
>>

>> It's ok to delay the release. Either releasing it now or later will
>> have to work some way if you want it in 2.1...
>>

> OK, I am going to do it before august 10. So if it is OK to delay the
> feature freeze until beta 1 we could still stick the proposed schedule.

Fine with me :)

>>> But the class definitions look 90% similar to me. Why would you NOT
>>> want that code consolidated. It just needs to be sorted out and the
>>> build system needs to be changed a bit. If noone beats me to it I
>>> volunteer to do it. Probably won't have time before beta1 though.
>>

>> I was wondering, this code looks so general isn't it available
>> somewhere else in Jakarta? Maybe in commons?
>>
>> If not, if have no objections against such a consolidation.
>>

> Yes it looks like a lot of stuff that is already in commons httpclient.
> So code using those classes should be migrated to use commons httpclient
> code. The remaining stuff should perhaps be moved to a different package
> since org.apache.util sound a bit too generic?

Would be great if you did that :)

Oliver

Re: Poll: Slide 2.1 Release

Posted by Unico Hommes <un...@hippo.nl>.

--
Unico

Re: Poll: Slide 2.1 Release

Posted by Oliver Zeigermann <oz...@c1-fse.de>.
Unico Hommes wrote:

> Oliver Zeigermann wrote:
>
>> Unico Hommes wrote:

>>> Is there a minimal term between rc/beta releases?
>>>
>>> I have some improvements to ACL in the pipeline but I won't have time
>>> to commit them before August 1. These include simple code
>>> improvements but also enhancements such as the ability to define
>>> custom privileges. I guess these won't be able to make it into 2.1 :-(
>>

>> Shall we defer the 2.1 release? I guess Slide could need some
>> improvements in the ACL area. I am rather clueless here. As usual I am
>> the problem as I will be on vacation from mid August to mid September.
>> Thus, if we defer the release a beta won't be possible before mid
>> September. A possible solution would be someone else doing the release
>> manager job, but nobody showed up, yet.
>>

> I don't want to delay the release for this. ACL does need improvements,
> they will just have to wait until version 2.2. Releasing early and often
> is important too.

It's ok to delay the release. Either releasing it now or later will have
to work some way if you want it in 2.1...

>>> There is one thing I think MUST be done before the release. I noticed
>>> that currently the org.apache.util package is being maintained at two
>>> separate places in the CVS! Both in src/util and in
>>> webdavclient/clientlib/src/java. Surely this must be consolidated.
>>

>> Hmmmm, I am not quite sure, as server and client really became
>> seperate projects.
>>

> But the class definitions look 90% similar to me. Why would you NOT want
> that code consolidated. It just needs to be sorted out and the build
> system needs to be changed a bit. If noone beats me to it I volunteer to
> do it. Probably won't have time before beta1 though.

I was wondering, this code looks so general isn't it available somewhere
else in Jakarta? Maybe in commons?

If not, if have no objections against such a consolidation.

Olilver

Re: Poll: Slide 2.1 Release

Posted by Unico Hommes <un...@hippo.nl>.

Re: Poll: Slide 2.1 Release

Posted by Oliver Zeigermann <oz...@c1-fse.de>.

Re: Poll: Slide 2.1 Release

Posted by Unico Hommes <un...@hippo.nl>.
Oliver Zeigermann wrote:

> To be on the save side, please check if you agree with the following
> 2.1 release plan:
>
> - Feature freeze: August 1st
> - Creation of release branch for full beta->rc->final->maintenance
> cycle: August 2nd
> - Beta1 release: Ausust 10th
> - Max. number of beta releases: 2 (with at most 4 weeks between them)
> - Max. number of release candidates: 2 (with at most 2 weeks between
> them)
> - Release Manager: Oliver Zeigermann (will be his final Slide release)
>
> Anything missing? Anything you disagree with?

Is there a minimal term between rc/beta releases?

I have some improvements to ACL in the pipeline but I won't have time to
commit them before August 1. These include simple code improvements but
also enhancements such as the ability to define custom privileges. I
guess these won't be able to make it into 2.1 :-(

There is one thing I think MUST be done before the release. I noticed
that currently the org.apache.util package is being maintained at two
separate places in the CVS! Both in src/util and in
webdavclient/clientlib/src/java. Surely this must be consolidated.

Otherwise +1 for the release plan.

--
Unico

Re: Poll: Slide 2.1 Release