Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Jerry M <te...@malcolms.com> on 2010/08/17 06:00:12 UTC

Installing spamd as a Windows service?

  I can't seem to find any documentation on how to install spamd as a
Windows service.  I found something about getting something called
NTRunner.  But that appears to be obsolete.  The link is dead.  I've
just got spamd running in a command line window. But I need it to be a
service.

I looked through the FAQs and recent discussions on the forum archives
and didn't see any info on it.

Is there some straightforward way that I've overlooked to install it as
a service?

Thx.

Re: Installing spamd as a Windows service?

Posted by Ted Mittelstaedt <te...@ipinc.net>.
Microsoft has instructions for this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/137890

They are for win nt4 and win 2000 but they work on server 2003
(and vista) if you get the tools off the server 2003 resource kit

You can also use the programs off the server 2003 reskit under
server 2008, well at least one of them anyway.  MS has a new
command, sc, that replaces the other one.  Here's a walkthrough
on how to use it  (using a different program but I'm sure you can
figure it out)

http://www.pdfforge.org/forum/help/5145-windows-server-2008-installation-problems

Just a hint, use more general search terms in google next time ;-)

Ted