Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by deniz <de...@gmail.com> on 2011/05/05 05:51:30 UTC

Is it possible to use sub-fields or multivalued fields for boosting?

okay... let me make the situation more clear... I am trying to create an
universal field which includes information about users like firstname,
surname, gender, location etc. When I enter something e.g London, I would
like to match any users having 'London' in any field firstname, surname or
location. But if it matches name or surname, I would like to give a higher
weight.

so my question is... is it possible to have sub-fields? like
<field name="universal">
   <field name="firstname">blabla</field>
   <field name="surname">blabla</field>
   <field name="gender">blabla</field>
   <field name="location">blabla</field>
</field>

or any other ideas for implementing such feature?

Re: Is it possible to use sub-fields or multivalued fields for boosting?

Posted by deniz <de...@gmail.com>.
it seems like I will use dismax... I have tried some other ways but dismax
seems the best :)

Re: Is it possible to use sub-fields or multivalued fields for boosting?

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
For a truly universal field, I'm not at all sure how you'd proceed. But if you
know what your sub-fields are in advance, have you considered just making
them regular fields and them throwing (d)dismax at it?

Best
Erick

Posted by findbestopensource <fi...@gmail.com>.
Hello deniz,

You could create a new field say FullName which is a <copyfield> of
firstname and surname. Search on both the new field and location but boost
up the new field query.

Regards
Aditya
www.findbestopensource.com