Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Rob Tanner <rt...@linfield.edu> on 2006/06/07 02:58:36 UTC

[users@httpd] How do I setup personal webpages in non-standard place?

I am in the process of building a new server running SAMBA for personal
storage.

We are getting away from shell accounts (no logins) and name space
management will be handled by Active Directory.  The user will not have
local account and therefore no entries in the password file (it's all
being handled by SAMBA and Active Directory).  I also want to continue
to use the public_html mechanism.

The real path is /home/CATNET/users/<account-name>/public_html.  Since
users won't have a password file entry, how do I tell Apache to use that
path when the GET request is /~account_name?

Thanks,
Rob

--

Rob Tanner
UNIX Services Manager

Re: [users@httpd] How do I setup personal webpages in non-standard place?

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Nick Kew wrote:

> You can emulate mod_userdir there with an AliasMatch directive.
>
> Given the history of the tilde, you'll want to match both /~foo/
> and /~7Efoo/.  Or drop the tilde from your userdir URLs.

Erm, did you mean /%7Efoo/ ?  it shouldn't be necessary - I believe
aliasmatch is given the /~foo/ form before alias processing since the
decoding already occurred, but I could be wrong - this is off the top
of my head.

Bill

Re: [users@httpd] How do I setup personal webpages in non-standard place?

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>.

Posted by Rob Tanner <rt...@linfield.edu>.
Rob Tanner said the following on 06/06/2006 05:58 PM:

> I am in the process of building a new server running SAMBA for
> personal storage.
> We are getting away from shell accounts (no logins) and name space
> management will be handled by Active Directory.  The user will not
> have local account and therefore no entries in the password file (it's
> all being handled by SAMBA and Active Directory).  I also want to
> continue to use the public_html mechanism.
> The real path is /home/CATNET/users/<account-name>/public_html.  Since
> users won't have a password file entry, how do I tell Apache to use
> that path when the GET request is /~account_name?

Found the answer.  Configure the UserDir as follows:
                       UserDir /home/CATNET/users/*/public_html

-- Rob

Re: [users@httpd] How do I setup personal webpages in non-standard place?

Posted by Jaqui Greenlees <ja...@yahoo.ca>.
--- Rob Tanner <rt...@linfield.edu> wrote:

> I am in the process of building a new server running
> SAMBA for personal
> storage.
>
> We are getting away from shell accounts (no logins)
> and name space
> management will be handled by Active Directory.  The
> user will not have
> local account and therefore no entries in the
> password file (it's all
> being handled by SAMBA and Active Directory).  I
> also want to continue
> to use the public_html mechanism.
>
> The real path is
> /home/CATNET/users/<account-name>/public_html.
> Since
> users won't have a password file entry, how do I
> tell Apache to use that
> path when the GET request is /~account_name?

The same way as you would any other time.
if apache 1.3, mod_userdir
if apache 2.x mpm_userdir

the default authentication for SERVING webpages is
none, your authentication for users to udate their
pages has nothing to do with apache serving them.

The only reason you may have any problems would be
with apache accessing the remote filesystem to serve
the pages, which is samba/ad configuration.

Jaqui