Posted to dev@kibble.apache.org by Julian Foad <ju...@apache.org> on 2018/09/10 09:34:46 UTC

Emailing PMCs in public versus private [was: Feedback Requested from Kibble Demo Projects]

sharan@apache.org wrote on 2018-09-10:
> Hi Julian
>
> No, this query doesn't need to remain private. Please feel free to share
> this with your community.

Done. Thanks.

> I sent the reminder to the PMCs as the
> original request to become a Kibble demo project was sent out to the
> PMCs. [...]

I wonder if I can guess the root of the problem. Your email arrived at "private@subversion.a.o" but from what you say here would I be right in guessing you addressed it to "pmcs@apache.org"? If that's the case, then that's a source of confusion.

I have just searched around and found that in 2005 a resolution [3] was passed to rename all the mailing lists formerly called "pmc@PROJECT.apache.org" to "private@PROJECT.apache.org" and to use these only for strictly private matters. This resolution is incorporated in the PMC Required Policies [2].

However, it appears that the alias "pmcs@" may now be pointing to the "private@" lists (I'm not sure how to check), in which case it should therefore only be used for strictly private matters and it may be a good idea to rename that alias to something like "pmcs-private@" and deprecate "pmcs@".

Can you shed any more light on this?

- Julian

[1] https://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#confidential
[3] https://whimsy.apache.org/board/minutes/Rename_pmc_lists_to_private.html

Re: Emailing PMCs in public versus private [was: Feedback Requested from Kibble Demo Projects]

Posted by sh...@apache.org.

On 10.9.2018 11:34, Julian Foad wrote:
> sharan@apache.org wrote on 2018-09-10:
>> Hi Julian
>>
>> No, this query doesn't need to remain private. Please feel free to share
>> this with your community.
> Done. Thanks.
>
>> I sent the reminder to the PMCs as the
>> original request to become a Kibble demo project was sent out to the
>> PMCs. [...]
> I wonder if I can guess the root of the problem. Your email arrived at "private@subversion.a.o" but from what you say here would I be right in guessing you addressed it to "pmcs@apache.org"? If that's the case, then that's a source of confusion.

Hi Julian

I didn't send the original request so I'm not sure what alias was used
but the objective was to send it to all project private lists. If you'd
like to locate the message, the original request for participation was
sent on 27 November 2017.

> I have just searched around and found that in 2005 a resolution [3] was passed to rename all the mailing lists formerly called "pmc@PROJECT.apache.org" to "private@PROJECT.apache.org" and to use these only for strictly private matters. This resolution is incorporated in the PMC Required Policies [2].
>
> However, it appears that the alias "pmcs@" may now be pointing to the "private@" lists (I'm not sure how to check), in which case it should therefore only be used for strictly private matters and it may be a good idea to rename that alias to something like "pmcs-private@" and deprecate "pmcs@".

> Can you shed any more light on this?
This sounds like a discussion topic for dev@community.a.o rather than
the Kibble dev list as as you are talking about something that would
affect all projects.

Thanks
Sharan

Posted by Julian Foad <ju...@apache.org>.