Posted to ivy-user@ant.apache.org by Jens Borrmann <je...@msg-gillardon.de> on 2009/03/16 15:58:07 UTC

Maintaining a shared repository

Hello,

does anybody have an idea how to handle the following maintenace use case
- or am I trying to do something terribly stupid...

Replace version for a module with a artifact having a different name
Our (file system based) repository contains a module orgName.moduleName
with version 1.0.0. It is realized by artifact
orgName.moduleName_1.0.0.jar. Now we need to publish a fix to the
repository which has a different name, e.g. patch_1.0.0.jar. Is there a
defined way to do this? I tried the following solutions:
a) force=false and overwrite=false
In this case an error is generated and the ivy.xml file in the repository
is not changed (still points to orgName.moduleName_1.0.0.jar). But
patch_1.0.0.jar is still copied to the repository and left there as an
orphan with no referring ivy.xml file.
b) force=true and overwrite=true
The ivy.xml file in the repository is changed. Therefore our patch is
used. But the original artifact file (and its checksums) are left as
orphans.

Is there an automated way of getting rid of these orphans?

Regards,
Jens

Re: Maintaining a shared repository

Posted by Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu>.
Monday, March 16, 2009, 3:58:07 PM, Jens Borrmann wrote:
> Hello,
>
> does anybody have an idea how to handle the following maintenace use case
> - or am I trying to do something terribly stupid...
>
> Replace version for a module with a artifact having a different name
> Our (file system based) repository contains a module orgName.moduleName
> with version 1.0.0. It is realized by artifact
> orgName.moduleName_1.0.0.jar. Now we need to publish a fix to the
> repository which has a different name, e.g. patch_1.0.0.jar. Is there a
> defined way to do this? I tried the following solutions:
> a) force=false and overwrite=false
> In this case an error is generated and the ivy.xml file in the repository
> is not changed (still points to orgName.moduleName_1.0.0.jar). But
> patch_1.0.0.jar is still copied to the repository and left there as an
> orphan with no referring ivy.xml file.
> b) force=true and overwrite=true
> The ivy.xml file in the repository is changed. Therefore our patch is
> used. But the original artifact file (and its checksums) are left as
> orphans.
>
> Is there an automated way of getting rid of these orphans?

I believe that if the org, module and the *revision* remains the same,
then the artifact name shouldn't change either. So for releasing the
patched 1.0.0 either: (a) overwrite the original artifact or (b)
append something to the reversion, like it could become to
1.0.0-patch1 or something.

--
Best regards,
 Daniel Dekany