Posted to dev@mynewt.apache.org by Christoph Jabs <ch...@jabs-family.de> on 2019/04/30 13:12:42 UTC

NimBLE question regarding multiple connections

Hello all,

I have a question regarding the nimble stack.

I'm working on a BLE test framework to evaluate BLE and different stack
implementations.
Nimble is already implemented into the framework for small experiment
setups, but when I try to run a experiment with more then two peripherals
with the nimble stack, I get the return code `BLE_ERR_CONN_REJ_RESOURCES`
from the function `ble_gap_connect`.
When looking at a packet log of the HCI communication I see, that the
controller responds with command status `0x0d` (Connection rejected due to
limited ressources) to the `LE Create Connection` command.
The thing that is confusing me is, that the same experiment works with a
different stack and the packetlogs do not look signifficantly different
between the two stacks.

My first problem for experiments with multiple peripherals was, that the
`MYNEWT_VAL_BLE_MAX_CONNECTIONS` parameter in the config was set to 1.
That was my mistake, but I fixed that.
My question is if there is a different configuration parameter that I'm
missing or if you have a different idea what could be the problem.

For additional information: The test devices in the experiments are
Raspberry Pi 3s and the nimble build is based on the linux port from the
repository.

Thanks in advance

- Christoph

---
Christoph Johannes Jabs
christoph@jabs-family.de
Tel. +49 152 53372087
Martin-Vollmer-Weg 19
72144 Dusslingen

Re: NimBLE question regarding multiple connections

Posted by Łukasz Rymanowski <lu...@codecoup.pl>.
Hi Christoph,

If you are using Raspberry Pi it means you are using only Nimble Host and
not the Nimble Controller.
That means changing MYNEWT_VAL_BLE_MAX_CONNECTIONS allocates only Host
resources for more connection, but we do not have influence for the
Controller.
And as you said, the controller is replying with 0x0d` (Connection rejected
due to limited resources) when you try to create more connections and we
cannot do anything about that.
I suggest to use Nimble Controller as well to get full Nimble experience :).

Best
Łukasz