Posted to general@hadoop.apache.org by Mag Gam <ma...@gmail.com> on 2011/04/10 14:36:37 UTC

hbase

Just curious, does hbase require mapreduce? Basically, I have several
terabytes of data and I would like to query it similar to sql fashion.
Was wondering if mapreduce was required.

RE: hbase

Posted by Doug Meil <do...@explorysmedical.com>.
(changing to user hbase distlist instead of general hadoop)

Hive runs as MapReduce jobs.  If you are looking for "quick" (i.e., non-MapReduce) access to tables, you need to use the HBase client (Get, Scan).

http://hbase.apache.org/book.html#datamodel

It seems with HIVE is a large latency. Is there anything else out there which has less latencies?

Re: hbase

Posted by Mag Gam <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: hbase

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.