Posted to dev@mina.apache.org by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com> on 2010/09/27 17:37:35 UTC

MIBA 2.0.0 : what's next ?

  Hi guys,

now that we got this damn release done, what will we do next ?

There are many things we still have to take care of :
- the MINA new site is still pending, waiting for some love
(http://mina.apache.org/mina2/)
- the doco is also lagging a lot, and we may want to improve it
- more important, IMO, is the next version. Should we create an branch
for 2.0.1 immediately, and let trunk be 3.0 ?

wdyt ?

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

Re: MIBA 2.0.0 : what's next ?

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@apache.org>.
  On 9/28/10 11:54 AM, Ashish wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 3:09 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny<el...@gmail.com>  wrote:

>>> I'd do as many simple point bug fix releases in 2.0.x branch with
>>> micro-version increments and try to merge the fix into the 3.0 at the same
>>> time.
>> I'm afraid that MINA 3.0 will be a total rewrite, with no way to get fixes
>> from 2.0... I consider 2.0 as dead wood at this point.
> Agreed !
>
> But what's the roadmap for 2.0.x, meaning do we fix all the JIRA's open there?
2.0.x will be bug fix releases., so yes, opened JIRA will apply on this
branch.

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

Re: MIBA 2.0.0 : what's next ?

Posted by Ashish <pa...@gmail.com>.

Re: MIBA 2.0.0 : what's next ?

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@apache.org>.
  On 9/29/10 3:53 PM, Mark Webb wrote:
> I assume the API will be backwards compatible though, right?
Right, as much as we can, but if we can't we should absolutely provide
some clear and documented path for migration.

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

Re: MIBA 2.0.0 : what's next ?

Posted by Mark Webb <el...@gmail.com>.

Re: MIBA 2.0.0 : what's next ?

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@apache.org>.

Re: MIBA 2.0.0 : what's next ?

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.

Apache MINA :: http://mina.apache.org

Re: MIBA 2.0.0 : what's next ?

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Re: MIBA 2.0.0 : what's next ?

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.

Re: MIBA 2.0.0 : what's next ?

Posted by Mark Webb <el...@gmail.com>.
+1, create a mina-2.0.x branch and let trunk be 3.0.  Also, what about
all current bugs/feature requests in JIRA, should we move them to 3.0?
 I see that there a a bunch of JIRA entries currently in as 2.0.1, but
should we make sure that they should be 2.0.1 and not 3.0?

...just my $.02

Re: MIBA 2.0.0 : what's next ?

Posted by Ashish <pa...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 9:37 PM, Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@apache.org> wrote:
>  On 9/27/10 5:50 PM, Ashish wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 9:07 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny<el...@gmail.com>
>>  wrote:
>>>
>>>  Hi guys,
>>>
>>> now that we got this damn release done, what will we do next ?
>>>
>>> There are many things we still have to take care of :
>>> - the MINA new site is still pending, waiting for some love
>>> (http://mina.apache.org/mina2/)
>>
>> +1, anything specific that we must take on priority
>
> We must move all the old MINA site pages to MINA2 new site.

hmmm.. AFAIK we moved all :), anything missing?

>>> - the doco is also lagging a lot, and we may want to improve it
>>
>> site or javadoc?
>
> Both :)

Ahh... +1

> We may go for a docstyle generated site here.
>>>
>>> - more important, IMO, is the next version. Should we create an branch
>>> for
>>> 2.0.1 immediately, and let trunk be 3.0 ?
>>
>> +1, but what do we do about 3.0 branch and the work that we did there?
>
> I would suggest that we branch trunk as it is, to create a 2.0.1 branch
> (which will become the working trunk for 2.0.0 and upper), and move what we
> did in the 3.0 branch into trunk.

+1, Got that :)

--
thanks
ashish

Blog: http://www.ashishpaliwal.com/blog

Re: MIBA 2.0.0 : what's next ?

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@apache.org>.
  On 9/27/10 5:50 PM, Ashish wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 9:07 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny<el...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>   Hi guys,
>>
>> now that we got this damn release done, what will we do next ?
>>
>> There are many things we still have to take care of :
>> - the MINA new site is still pending, waiting for some love
>> (http://mina.apache.org/mina2/)
> +1, anything specific that we must take on priority
We must move all the old MINA site pages to MINA2 new site.
>> - the doco is also lagging a lot, and we may want to improve it
> site or javadoc?
Both :)

Re: MIBA 2.0.0 : what's next ?

Posted by Ashish <pa...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 9:07 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  Hi guys,
>
> now that we got this damn release done, what will we do next ?
>
> There are many things we still have to take care of :
> - the MINA new site is still pending, waiting for some love
> (http://mina.apache.org/mina2/)

+1, anything specific that we must take on priority

> - the doco is also lagging a lot, and we may want to improve it

site or javadoc?

> - more important, IMO, is the next version. Should we create an branch for
> 2.0.1 immediately, and let trunk be 3.0 ?

+1, but what do we do about 3.0 branch and the work that we did there?

> wdyt ?

A BIG THANKS again for the release :)

--
thanks
ashish

Re: MIBA 2.0.0 : what's next ?

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.
On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 5:37 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com> wrote:
> - more important, IMO, is the next version. Should we create an branch for
> 2.0.1 immediately, and let trunk be 3.0 ?

+1, create a mina-2.0.x branch and let trunk be 3.0

/niklas

Re: MINA 2.0.0 : what's next ?

Posted by Julien Vermillard <jv...@archean.fr>.
+1 for 3.0 as trunk.