Posted to user@accumulo.apache.org by Noe Detore <nd...@minerkasch.com> on 2016/11/16 20:43:20 UTC

Replication Latency and Metrics

Hello,

I notice there are a few metrics coming out for replication:
FilesPendingReplicationNumOps
FilesPendingReplicationAvgTime
MasterReplication.NumPeersNumOps
MasterReplication.NumPeersAvgTime
MaxReplicationThreadsNumOps
MaxReplicationThreadsAvgTime

What can be learned from these?

Is there a way to know or measure the latency of from when a record is
written to when it is replicated?

Thank you
Noe

Re: Replication Latency and Metrics

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.
No, Accumulo tracks replication at the (write-ahead log) file level, not
at the update level.

For the names you've listed, you should also see values for each. I am
assuming that you did not copy all of the exposed metrics. I believe the
NumOps and AvgTime values are information generated by the metrics
framework itself about how many times each metric was polled and the
amount of time it took to compute the value.

For a description on what each value actually measures, please read [1]
and reply back with specific questions about what you don't understand.

[1]
https://github.com/apache/accumulo/blob/e900e67425d950bd4c0c5288a6270d7b362ac458/server/master/src/main/java/org/apache/accumulo/master/metrics/ReplicationMetricsMBean.java