Posted to dev@hop.apache.org by Julian Hyde <jh...@gmail.com> on 2020/09/26 17:02:59 UTC

[DISCUSS] Starting incubation

We’ve completed the first two steps of incubation - passed the IPMC vote and created an email list - so let’s get started!

First of all, welcome to Apache! We’re excited to have a new project under way.

I’m a mentor for Hop. That means I’m an Apache member, I’ve been through this process before, and my job is to teach you how things work at Apache.

This email is intended as a discussion thread where people can ask any questions they have about Incubation. It will be archived at https://lists.apache.org/list.html?dev@hop.apache.org.

Apache does a lot of its business on email. Email is inclusive because it is asynchronous and archived. It is easy to participate if English is not your first language or if you are in a different time zone.

Apache folks talk about “community over code”. Build the community first, and good code will follow. And Apache communities literally exist in the mailing lists. Please join the community by posting to this thread. Introduce yourself, ask questions!

There’s a misperception that incubation is about proving that you can write excellent code. It’s actually about proving that you can operate as a community following the Apache Way. Along the way, you’ll make some releases, and also deal with some red tape like clearance of IP and brand, but the main thing is community building. You’re probably doing many things right already.

Would it be useful to have a Zoom call so that the initial committers and mentors can meet each other and ask questions? (It’s not very Apache to do calls, but I think it’s an efficient way to get things started.) I’d be happy to host a call - maybe Wednesday or Thursday? Something between 1600 and 2000 UTC would me morning for me in California and evening for those of you in Europe. We can have a second call for people in timezones like China/India/Australia.

Let me know about the call, but also post any other questions/observations you may have.

Julian

Re: [DISCUSS] Starting incubation

Posted by Merton Thompson <me...@neotechnology.com.INVALID>.
+ Merton for a Zoom call

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Bart Maertens <ba...@know.bi>.
Hi Hop Community,

Here's a quick recap of the call we had yesterday.

Attendees (alphabetical order, last name):

   - Matt Casters
   - Julian Hyde
   - Bart Maertens
   - Maximilian Michels
   - Merton Thompson
   - Hans Van Akelyen

We mainly walked through the slides
<https://s.apache.org/hop-incubation-kickoff> Julian prepared about what
the incubation process will mean for Hop.

Some topics we discussed in detail:

   - community over code:
      - the incubation process is more about building a community than it
      is about writing code.
      - the Hop project team is encouraged to grow the Hop community,
      increase the number of committers and PMC members
      - the ASF encourages communication and discussion to take place on
      the mailing lists as much as possible to make all communication as
      inclusive as possible
      - all decisions are taken through votes on the mail lists to make the
      process as inclusive as possible
   - releases are a sacred ritual:
      - releases are a tool to help build the Hop community
      - releases are a legal rather than a technical process
      - the first release in the ASF Incubator usually takes about twice as
      long as the project team expects
   -  graduating to a TLP (Top Level Project) typically takes one year.
   Some projects graduate faster, some take longer, some don't graduate. The
   Hop project team aims to be in the first category.

We can have a second edition of this call if there are people who would
have liked to join but couldn't attend.

Many thanks to Julian for taking the time to prepare and walk us through
the incubation process!

Regards,
Bart

Posted by fp...@apache.org.