Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Jun Rao <ju...@confluent.io> on 2017/05/05 22:11:26 UTC

[DISCUSS] KIP-153 : Include only client traffic in BytesOutPerSec metric

Hi, Everyone,

We created "KIP-153 : Include only client traffic in BytesOutPerSec metric".

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-153+%3A+Include+only+client+traffic+in+BytesOutPerSec+metric

Please take a look and provide your feedback.

Thanks,

Jun

Re: [DISCUSS] KIP-153 : Include only client traffic in BytesOutPerSec metric

Posted by Edoardo Comar <EC...@uk.ibm.com>.
Thanks for the KIP, Jun
We're constantly reminded of this inconsistency when we look at the
traffic on the dashboards !
Edoardo Comar
IBM MessageHub
ecomar@uk.ibm.com
IBM UK Ltd, Hursley Park, SO21 2JN

IBM United Kingdom Limited Registered in England and Wales with number
741598 Registered office: PO Box 41, North Harbour, Portsmouth, Hants. PO6
3AU

From:   Jun Rao <ju...@confluent.io>
To:     "dev@kafka.apache.org" <de...@kafka.apache.org>
Date:   05/05/2017 18:11
Subject:        [DISCUSS] KIP-153 : Include only client traffic in
BytesOutPerSec metric

Hi, Everyone,

We created "KIP-153 : Include only client traffic in BytesOutPerSec
metric".

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-153+%3A+Include+only+client+traffic+in+BytesOutPerSec+metric

Please take a look and provide your feedback.

Thanks,

Jun

Unless stated otherwise above:
741598.

Re: [DISCUSS] KIP-153 : Include only client traffic in BytesOutPerSec metric

Posted by Jun Rao <ju...@confluent.io>.
Hi, Xavier,

I think the per topic metric is more useful for measuring the traffic from
the clients. For internal replication, perhaps the aggregate value is
enough.

Thanks,

Jun

Posted by Xavier Léauté <xa...@confluent.io>.

Posted by Onur Karaman <on...@gmail.com>.
Looks good. Thanks!

Posted by Roger Hoover <ro...@gmail.com>.
Very helpful.  Thank you, Jun.

Posted by Guozhang Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.
Jun,

--
-- Guozhang

Re: [DISCUSS] KIP-153 : Include only client traffic in BytesOutPerSec metric

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>.
Thanks Jun, looks good to me.

Posted by Jun Rao <ju...@confluent.io>.
Hi, Ismael,