Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net> on 2004/03/13 18:23:17 UTC

[vote] Nominate Ibiblio Content Manager

Guys,

I'd like to nominate myself as the Ibiblio content manager if that's ok with
the group.  If stuff like snapshots need to go up to Ibiblio I'll push it up
on behalf of the team.  If others would like the privilege instead let me
know.

Alex

Re: cvs.apache.org SNAPSHOT repository

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.

Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Mark R. Diggory wrote:
>>If your using your own workstation to build using Maven, then you can
>>set your central-repository property to point to
>>  maven.repo.central=minotaur.apache.org
>>  maven.repo.central.directory=/www/cvs.apache.org/repository/
>>Incubator can gladly be the first to start producing builds here. This
>>is not mirrored, there is no concern about making changes if you screw
>>up a deploy here.
>

> I think that last point is important for infrastructure to know.  And please
> correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding is that the clients (maven in
> this case) will check that location, but only download if they need
> something that hasn't been cached.  Therefore this shouldn't be a big
> bandwidth issue.

Not only that, but it is also the case that only Apache developers
should really be using this (with some bleed). If you look on
cvs.apache.org, you'll also notice that other nightly/snapshot builds
are getting dumped there and are web accessible.

http://cvs.apache.org/dist/
http://cvs.apache.org/builds/
http://cvs.apache.org/snapshots/

So we want to highly disapprove of external projects using this location
at all for getting hold of jars from apache projects. Someday, maybe
we'll have smarter repository tools that can make use of http auth
mechanisms, then this can really be enforced.

-Mark

--
Mark Diggory
Software Developer

Re: cvs.apache.org SNAPSHOT repository

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.

RE: cvs.apache.org SNAPSHOT repository (was: Re: [vote] Nominate Ibiblio Content Manager)

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Mark R. Diggory later wrote in the original thread:

> I just created it a few moments ago. You should have write access there.

> If your using your own workstation to build using Maven, then you can
> set your central-repository property to point to
>   maven.repo.central=minotaur.apache.org
>   maven.repo.central.directory=/www/cvs.apache.org/repository/
> Incubator can gladly be the first to start producing builds here. This
> is not mirrored, there is no concern about making changes if you screw
> up a deploy here.

I think that last point is important for infrastructure to know.  And please
correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding is that the clients (maven in
this case) will check that location, but only download if they need
something that hasn't been cached.  Therefore this shouldn't be a big
bandwidth issue.

	--- Noel

RE: cvs.apache.org SNAPSHOT repository (was: Re: [vote] Nominate Ibiblio Content Manager)

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.
> I recommend we use the following location for SNAPSHOT/NIGHTLY/WEEKLY
> builds of jars for Apache Projects.
>
> http://cvs.apache.org/repository/
>
> -Mark

Would you include snapshots for incubator projects here?

Alex

RE: cvs.apache.org SNAPSHOT repository (was: Re: [vote] Nominate Ibiblio Content Manager)

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.

--
Mark Diggory
Software Developer

cvs.apache.org SNAPSHOT repository (was: Re: [vote] Nominate Ibiblio Content Manager)

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.

--
Mark Diggory
Software Developer

Re: [vote] Nominate Ibiblio Content Manager

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.

Alex Karasulu wrote:
> [...]

Its actually a big benefit to everyone that this isn't mirrored, Apache
and Mirror folks don't want unsanctioned releases on their mirrors either.

-Mark

--
Mark Diggory
Software Developer

RE: [vote] Nominate Ibiblio Content Manager

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.

--
Mark Diggory
Software Developer

RE: [vote] Nominate Ibiblio Content Manager

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.

Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>>I don't believe I'm on the directory developers list, sorry.
>

> Nope.  I cc'd you because you are the most knowledgeable person on the
> subject of Maven and our repositories whom I know.  :-)

Thanks for including me.

> Here is the thread:
> http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/BrowseList?listName=directory-dev@incubat
> or.apache.org&by=thread&from=672486
>

>>if you want to publicize your jars for use by the world
>

> That not what an Incubator project should normally be doing.

yes, I get that.

>>Since projects don't stay in the incubator forever, I suggest you don't
>>use it in the groupId for a incubator project.
>

> Somewhere in the URL we want it clear that the artifact is in the Incubator.

Hmm, then I suspect that it would be in the groupId, really, I guess if
a project is depending on something in the incubator, then they
themselves are probably not at release state too (and probably another
incubator project). In which case, its probably quite acceptable that
incubator can be in the groupId.

In which case incubator dev builds would look like

/www/cvs.apache.org/repository/incubator-directory/jars/<artifact>...
/www/cvs.apache.org/repository/incubator-depot/jars/<artifactid>...
/www/cvs.apache.org/repository/incubator-geronimo/jars/<artifact>...
/www/cvs.apache.org/repository/incubator-axion/jars/<artifact>...

We just need to make it clear that when a project Graduates, its groupId
needs to change appropriately. When it starts doing release builds into
/www/www.apache.org/java-repository, it needs to loose the incubator.

/www/www.apache.org/java-repository/jaxme/jars/<artifact>...

-Mark

--
Mark Diggory
Software Developer

RE: [vote] Nominate Ibiblio Content Manager

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> I don't believe I'm on the directory developers list, sorry.

Nope.  I cc'd you because you are the most knowledgeable person on the
subject of Maven and our repositories whom I know.  :-)

Here is the thread:
http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/BrowseList?listName=directory-dev@incubat
or.apache.org&by=thread&from=672486

> if you want to publicize your jars for use by the world

That not what an Incubator project should normally be doing.

> > is it not possible for us to host artifacts for maven on
> > cvs.apache.org somewhere so that they are not put out in
> > the public perception as "released" code?

> Yes, this is something we are in the process of setting up.

I'll leave the details of Mavenization to you, Alex, Phil, et al.  :-)

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.

--
Mark Diggory
Software Developer

RE: [vote] Nominate Ibiblio Content Manager

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.
I think he's subscribed to the list but the ossie is sleeping!

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.
Phil, Noel & Mark,

I'm not talking about pushing out and pulling them back in.  Take
for example the ldap project which has a common jar for both clients
and servers.  Eve (server) needs that jar.  Rather than have the user
have to build the common jar and the Eve jar its better to have common
up on some site we all can access.

Noel's idea is a good one.  Since we cannot control the fact that any
project in the incubator can set the version to something other than
SNAPSHOT and upload it we need to enforce the use of a repo that had
incubator in the URL somewhere.  It's just an additional repo that
all in the incubator have access to.  It's just in one place.

The bottom line is xyz-SNAPSHOT.jar != release but you cannot enforce
this unless you restrict publishing (loosely termed) to a specific
repo.  It should be a rule of the incubator actually to keep things here
and only here.

I personally use a repo in my home account
http://www.apache.org/~akarasulu/maven to manage these jars because when I
move to a new machine I don't want everything to have to rebuild over again.
Plus I can manage snapshot's I expose to the other members of the team.
Its for internal use really.  BTW I would really love to blow this
http://www.apache.org/~akarasulu/maven directory away.

It would be nice to have an additional incubator based maven repo for
projects under incubation.  That way I don't have to replicate jars and
others don't either off their own user accounts or yet another site all
together.

Alex

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@steitz.com>.

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.