Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Philipp Kloke <ph...@web.de> on 2010/10/04 14:34:49 UTC

Checked Subversions code with cppcheck

?Hi,

I used cppcheck to analyze the source code of Subversion.
Cppcheck claims to have found five errors and some style problems.

Please have a look on the result file in the attachement.

Re: Checked Subversions code with cppcheck

Posted by "Hyrum K. Wright" <hy...@mail.utexas.edu>.
On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 3:06 PM, Itamar O <it...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 5:04 PM, Philipp Kloke <ph...@web.de> wrote:
>>
>> ?I am not sure if I am answering correctly (because I usually do not use
>> mailing lists, I just selected the "Answer to all" button of my mail
>> program), but I hope so.
>>
>> I now checked the code again, but with a newer version of cppcheck. The
>> results are in the attachement.
>>
>> If you would like to try to check the code by yourself, see
>> https://sourceforge.net/projects/cppcheck/ (the tool is very easy to use)
>>

> I wonder - it seems that Subversion is covered by static-analysis from
> scan.coverity (http://scan.coverity.com/rungAll.html),
> which is a powerful commercial analysis tool (not affiliated), but the
> cppcheck report posted here has stuff that are surely detected by
> coverity...
> Are the dev's really using the reports from scan.coverity?

It's been a while since I've looked at those stats.  The last time I
did, there was something wrong with the scanner which made it only
check a small subset of the code.  Contacting Coverity didn't get me
very far in solving the problem. :/

Trying just now, I can't even log into the system: the login link is
broken for the Subversion project.  I've emailed the admins, and
hopefully it'll get fixed.  Thanks for the reminder.

-Hyrum

Re: Checked Subversions code with cppcheck

Posted by Itamar O <it...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Hyrum K. Wright" <hy...@mail.utexas.edu>.

Posted by "Hyrum K. Wright" <hy...@mail.utexas.edu>.
On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 9:34 AM, Philipp Kloke <ph...@web.de> wrote:
> ?Hi,
>
> I used cppcheck to analyze the source code of Subversion.
> Cppcheck claims to have found five errors and some style problems.
>
> Please have a look on the result file in the attachement.

Thanks for the feedback!  I'll look at making some of these changes,
and let you know how it goes.  (In the future, as this is related to
the development of Subversion, feel free to send this type of mail
straight to dev@subversion.apache.org.)

Best,
-Hyrum