Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Tomasz Pik <pi...@ais.pl> on 2002/12/10 22:52:16 UTC

[Morpher] status of the project

Hi,

I started to look at Morpher codebase in Jakarta CVS
because it looks like something I'm currently looking for.
First I'd like to ask, if there's any work on this (it looks
like CVS is untouched since some months)?
I also want to ask if anybody knows about 'morphers'
outisde main Morpher CVS tree (maybe for text/xml+svs -> image/*
using Batik Transcoder API?

Regards
Tomek Pik

Re: [Morpher] status of the project

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Tomasz Pik wrote:
> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>>> I started to look at Morpher codebase in Jakarta CVS
>>> because it looks like something I'm currently looking for.
>>> First I'd like to ask, if there's any work on this (it looks
>>> like CVS is untouched since some months)?
>>
>> Currently it's not being actively developed, but the reasons why it
>> started are still there and it's still needed. If you want to
>> help-contribute, I'd be very happy :-)
>

> First set of thoughts
> 1 add 'equals' and 'hashCode' to ObjectFlavor to let it works in Maps;
> 2 add
>   'registerMorpher(String name, String className,
>       Collection inputFlavors, Collection outputFlavors);
>   to BasicMorpherFactory;
> 3 add Map that maps every 'registered' input ObjectFlavor to Map
>   which map output ObjectFlavor to morpher name (I believe that
>   there might be a better structure to handle this mapping, right
>   now it's just HashMap);
> 4 implement getMorpher(ObjectFlavor, ObjectFlavor) using Map from (3)
>   (maybe it should support creating piplelines?);
>
> and first question:
> If Morpher support ObjectFlavors A, B as input and X, Y as output,
> does it support all possible conversions (A->X, A->Y, B->X, B->Y)?
> If not, (2) needs to be redefined.

It doesn not. We should make it clearer that a Morpher can support
Flavor *pairs*, so in the above example it should be A->X, B->Y.

Probably something like

    'registerMorpher(String name, String className,
           FlavorPairs inputOputputFlavorPairs);

> If (1)-(4) are acceptable, patch will come.

Definately ok. It seems you have perfectly understood the usage of
Morphos, good  :-)

The next thing we really need is docs.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: [Morpher] status of the project

Posted by Tomasz Pik <pi...@ais.pl>.

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Tomasz Pik wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I started to look at Morpher codebase in Jakarta CVS
> because it looks like something I'm currently looking for.
> First I'd like to ask, if there's any work on this (it looks
> like CVS is untouched since some months)?

Currently it's not being actively developed, but the reasons why it
started are still there and it's still needed. If you want to
help-contribute, I'd be very happy :-)

> I also want to ask if anybody knows about 'morphers'
> outisde main Morpher CVS tree (maybe for text/xml+svs -> image/*
> using Batik Transcoder API?

No, there are not, but the Batik Transcoder is one of the systems that
Morphos intends to use. In this way users could use Morphos as an API
and underneath have Batik, Cocoon blocks, etc...

Andrew C. Oliver (acoliver at apache.org) is very interested in it and
wants to start developing on it too BTW. If you have further questions,
don't hesitate to ask :-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -