Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by go canal <go...@yahoo.com> on 2009/09/25 12:42:59 UTC

replication over internet

hello,
Looking at the replication wiki, I assume that the current implementation is for supporting high availability - so machines are likely in the same local network.

What if I want to replicate to the remote sites ?

At least two requirements I can think of:
 * (must) first, we need to support HTTPS not only HTTP, unless the data is already encrypted.
 * (want) secondly, schedule the replication - I do not know how internally replication is done, with every change, or already use some buffer for batch process. but better if we can configure when to replicate, how often, etc. for example, hourly, etc. My customer asked me to avoid as much network activities as possible during certain period of time during the day. of cause, they maybe able to look into their infrastructure and applications .... but nice if we can configure something.
 rgds,
canal

Re: replication over internet

Posted by go canal <go...@yahoo.com>.
that's really good news, thanks !

 rgds,
canal

________________________________
On Sep 25, 2009, at 6:42 AM, go canal wrote:

> hello,
> Looking at the replication wiki, I assume that the current implementation is for supporting high availability - so machines are likely in the same local network.
>
> What if I want to replicate to the remote sites ?

CouchDB's replication model is certainly geared for that as well.  In fact, it's designed to work between servers that are only occasionally connected, too.

> At least two requirements I can think of:
> * (must) first, we need to support HTTPS not only HTTP, unless the data is already encrypted.

This is supported in the upcoming 0.10 release.

> * (want) secondly, schedule the replication - I do not know how internally replication is done, with every change, or already use some buffer for batch process. but better if we can configure when to replicate, how often, etc. for example, hourly, etc. My customer asked me to avoid as much network activities as possible during certain period of time during the day. of cause, they maybe able to look into their infrastructure and applications .... but nice if we can configure something.

By default, CouchDB replication is "one-and-done" -- its replicates all the updates that are missing on the target at the moment you start the replication, then stops.  If you pass the "continuous":true option in the POST to _replicate, Couch will continue to replicate all updates immediately.

For the scheduled replication service you describe above, we recommend triggering normal replications with cron.  Down the line CouchDB might grow its own internal cron, but we didn't want to reinvent the wheel.  Best,

Adam

Re: replication over internet

Posted by Adam Kocoloski <ko...@apache.org>.

Posted by venkata subbarayudu <av...@gmail.com>.
Hi,
           I am new to couchdb, and to setup followed the instructions of
'README' file from trunk, everything is working fine, I have the dbs with
desingDocuments as well,to start couchdb I usually use the command
'/usr/local/etc/init.d/couchdb start', command, and now I want to specify
the configs at runtime. and so I have used the following "

su -c'/usr/local/bin/couchdb -c usr/local/etc/couchdb/local.ini -b -r
5 -p /home/couchdb/testpid/couchdb.pid -o /dev/null -e /dev/null'
couchdb" (got from:
http://code.google.com/p/couchdb-lounge/wiki/SettingUpTwoCouchInstances)

I actually wants to give the pid file location at runtime.

I was able to start couchdb, using the above command, but is unable to
execute the designDocuments.( If I get the docs using the
desingDocuments it displays nothing.)

If I start using the normal way, then I am able to see. Can somebody
please suggest is the second way that I am using to start couchdb is
correct?. ( I didn't change the viewIndex directory from the time I
started)

Thanks for your help,
Subbarayudu.