Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Peter Ent <pe...@adobe.com> on 2017/03/06 18:27:22 UTC

[FlexJS] Group container

Hi,

Today I've introduced the FlexJS Group container - a lightweight alternative to the Container class. The Group container provides hardly more than <div> on the HTML platform and the code generated using it should produce a DOM without the nested <div> elements that Container gives you. Further, Group does not have a default layout. This allows you to size and position the Group's children using CSS.

Along with this commit is an updated BasicLayout designed to work with Group (the VerticalFlexLayout and HorizontalFlexLayout beads should work as well).

The SWF side for Group may or may work too well at the moment - I have to complete updates to BasicLayout for that to work correctly.

The real power from Group will come when I check in additional changes to UIBase and some of the other core components. Right now some of those components automatically set an element's position style to either "absolute" or "relative". To provide a better experience on HTML/CSS/JS, FlexJS code should not be setting the position style unless it is done by a layout (or done via CSS).  I will also be changing the View (the one we use as MyInitialView in the examples) to be based on Group rather than Container which will also eliminate another layer.

Please give Group a test if you can.

Thanks.
Peter Ent
Adobe Systems/Apache Flex Project

Re: [FlexJS] Group container

Posted by yishayw <yi...@hotmail.com>.
Carlos Rovira wrote
> Hi Peter, I think this awesome. get rid of the hardcoded styles in
> component classes is such important thing and first point not only in your
> effort of create a good layout strategy, but an important previous step if
> we want to implement theming in FlexJS.

It seems to me theming in FlexJS should be pretty easy, regardless of
whether or not we're using CSS for layouts. You can always swap the layout
bead (and view beads for that matter) in your CSS.

Re: [FlexJS] Group container

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
In theory, the API for Container should abstract away how many internal
pieces there are.  It should probably be a div in JS.  Adding a
ScrollingContainerView should be the PAYG way of turning on overflow:auto.

On the SWF side, the ScrollingContainerView has a lot more work to do.
But it should all be under the hood.  The coordinate system of children
should be the same on both platforms.

Essentially, we use PAYG to build up the SWF side to be the equivalent of
the HTML div.  So borders and backgrounds are not in the API surface.
They are under-the-hood.

Then, separately, IMO, there is the concept of what I'll call "user
chrome".  This is visuals in a container that appear to be outside the
content area.  It could be borders that are not describable in CSS and are
thus composited by children of the outer container.  It could be a
TitleBar/StatusBar/ControlBar/Menu-like row of widgets around some
content.  I don't know how resize handles are done in JS, but that might
be a candidate as well.

To me, the question is: what is the coordinate system and numChildren
expectations in the HTML/JS world for these kinds of custom containers,
and are there pain points related to them that we should solve better in
FlexJS?  Do people even make re-usable "Panels" in HTML?  Where someone
supplied a widget with a "title" property and you addChildren to it?  Or
do folks just grab a plain <div> and build Panels individually by placing
a div in there for the title and another for the children?

As usual, we want to see what is the optimal way to do this in JS, find
the patterns and encapsulate those patterns.

My 2 cents,
-Alex

Re: [FlexJS] Group container

Posted by Peter Ent <pe...@adobe.com>.

Re: [FlexJS] Group container

Posted by Peter Ent <pe...@adobe.com>.
Thanks for the feedback!

Re: [FlexJS] Group container

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.

--

Carlos Rovira
Director General

proceda a su destrucción.

necesaria.

Re: [FlexJS] Group container

Posted by Peter Ent <pe...@adobe.com>.

Re: [FlexJS] Group container

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Re: [FlexJS] Group container

Posted by piotrz <pi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Peter,

It looks awesome. Cause if I'm enough skilled in CSS I can do whatever
layout I want and I don't need to know any other one. - In theory. :)

Thank you!
Piotr

-----
Apache Flex PMC