Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by WXR <14...@qq.com> on 2013/07/04 14:26:19 UTC

How many vms per primary storage can offer best performance?

I use NFS share as primary storage,the NFS share is on a 8 SATA HDDs RAID10 volume.
The network link is gigabit ethernet.The switch is dell powerconnect.

When I just create 15-20 vm instances and start them(not run any software on them),I find the disk IO performance of the vm is very low.
If a file copy job on a pc needs 10 minutes , the same job on the vm needs 20minutes.

I don't know if it is normal,and I want to know the correct configuration of the primary storage,I need your suggests with enough experience.

Re: How many vms per primary storage can offer best performance?

Posted by Dean Kamali <de...@gmail.com>.
Well can you tell us more about your setup, before blaming NFS for being
slow :)

In most cases the hardware is what to blame, Are you using 6Gbps / SATA3
drives?

Your 1GB link most likely the bottle neck here, you will need to either
bond 4 NICs together or maybe invest in 10G switch.

I'm using NFS with SSDs and SATA3 drives / with expensive DELL Raid
controller, and 10G Network,  I'm able to run 30 - 40 vms with no
performance issues.

Posted by Ignazio Cassano <ig...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Conrad Geiger <cg...@it1solutions.com>.

Posted by Ahmad Emneina <ae...@gmail.com>.