Posted to dev@nifi.apache.org by Joe Gresock <jg...@gmail.com> on 2017/05/19 16:25:40 UTC

NiFi 1.2.0 Record processors question

I've tried a couple different configurations of CSVReader /
JsonRecordSetWriter with the QueryRecord processor, and I don't think I
quite have the usage down yet.

Can someone give a basic example configuration in the following 2
scenarios?  I followed most of Matt Burgess's response to the post titled
"How to use ConvertRecord Processor", but I don't think it tells the whole
story.

1) QueryRecord, converting CSV to JSON, using only the CSV headers to
determine the schema.  (I tried selecting Use String Fields from Header in
CSVReader, but the processor really seems to want to use the
JsonRecordSetWriter to determine the schema)

2) QueryRecord, converting CSV to JSON, using a cached avro schema.  I
imagine I need to use InferAvroSchema here, but I'm not sure how to cache
it in the AvroSchemaRegistry.  Also not quite sure how to configure the
properties of each controller service in this case.

Any help would be appreciated.

Joe

whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.  I can do

RE: [EXT] Re: NiFi 1.2.0 Record processors question

Posted by "Peter Wicks (pwicks)" <pw...@micron.com>.
I appreciate the clarification as well. I was really confused why my Avro files weren't converting, and this explains it; though I have to say the error messages you run into in this scenario are not clear.

Posted by Koji Kawamura <ij...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Joe Gresock <jg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bryan Bende <bb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matt Burgess <ma...@apache.org>.
I can update the Jira with more information around using the incoming
record's schema, Koji wrote it originally for a particular use case,
embedded schemas in a flow file vs input record schemas available to
the record processors. If they are too different, a new Jira would be
spawned. But in any case, I would say the CSV Schema From Headers
probably won't play nice with most of the other record stuff for now.

As a workaround, I put up a Gist [1] which is a Groovy script that can
be used in ExecuteScript to extract the Avro schema from the header
line of a CSV file into an attribute called avro.schema. This lends
itself to the "Use Schema Text" strategy, to help avoid the issue with
the CSVReader "Schema Names from Header" strategy.

Regards,
Matt

[1] https://gist.github.com/mattyb149/6c9ac2d0961b8ff38ad716646f45b073

Posted by Joe Gresock <jg...@gmail.com>.
Matt,

Posted by Matt Burgess <ma...@apache.org>.
Joe,

Posted by Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com>.
Joe

Can you share a template with sample data?

These are powerful tools for which we need examples and docs to catch up
although the docs there now are already really helpful..

I'm happy to help you get your flow working or identify gaps as is.

Thanks
Joe