Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by R & S Buckland <bu...@bigpond.net.au> on 2002/02/09 13:26:48 UTC

How to identify http://user@ in URL with no Auth

Hi,

Here is an interesting problem / task.

Given a url like http://user@host.com/path
I would like to identify the 'user' portion and make it available
as an environment variable to the script (PHP).

Obviously this username and a password would normally be passed
as authentication to a server if it request authorisation (no?).

What I have tried is:

    Turn on Authtntication and created a htpasswd user 'user1' with no
password
    I Hit the URL    http://user1@host.com/path/to/htpasswded/directory/
    but I got prompted with a dialog for authentication

My questions would be:
+    Without authentication turned on, does the browser pass this
information to apache?
+    If so where would it be located (I check the enviromnet and server vars
and found nothing)
+    Can it be turned on to be accessible ?
+    If I turn on authentication, can apache accept the provided username as
valid and proceed to use it
    instead of prompting with a 401 ? (forcing an authenticvation prompt at
the browser)

Ahh such fun!

(My fallback so far is to use javascript on the first page
which looks for the user1@ in the document.location
and then redirects the browser passing info back to the
server.. not neat but it does work.. i would prefer to
do this at the server though through some sort of config etc)

any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
ramon

Re: How to identify http://user@ in URL with no Auth

Posted by R & S Buckland <bu...@bigpond.net.au>.
More on this,

Eventually what I want to do is in Apache, setup the config so that

https://user1@host.com/index.html > returns /some/path/user1/index.html
https://user2@host.com/index.html > returns /some/path/user2/index.html

Can it be done ?