Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Jens Seidel <je...@users.sourceforge.net> on 2008/05/07 09:54:40 UTC

Updated German translation

Hi,

I updated the German translation of Subversion in the 1.5 branch. Please
commit!

The following two files can be fetched from
http://alioth.debian.org/~jseidel-guest/:

de1.po: Updated source references (mainly by calling tools/po/po-update.sh)
de2.po  Updated German translation

The file de1.po doesn't contain translation updates but should be
nevertheless committed separately (as de.po) to get a readable diff
between de1.po and de2.po.

The translation provided in de2.po is not yet completed but I will
continue working on it.

I *strongly* suggest you update after this all other po files via
tools/po/po-update.sh in both trunk and 1.5 branch as well (feel free to
include de.po *after* committing my files but it should not necessary).

The last time such an update happened was one year ago and many new
strings were introduced.

PS: I started also collecting some problematic strings but I have to
recheck these before I can notify you. I will do this with the next
patch.

PS2: I added the last German translator to CC: (it wasn't easy to obtain
his name as you forbid mentioning translators in PO files)!.

PS3: I'm not subscribed, so please CC: me as well.

Jens

Re: Updated German translation

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.co.il>.
Jens Seidel wrote on Wed, 7 May 2008 at 11:54 +0200:
> Hi,
>
> I updated the German translation of Subversion in the 1.5 branch. Please
> commit!

Jens, Stefan, can one of you commit this?

Daniel

Posted by Lübbe Onken | RA Consulting <l....@rac.de>.

Re: Updated German translation

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@stsp.name>.
On Wed, May 07, 2008 at 01:02:28PM +0200, Stefan Sperling wrote:
> As Stefan Küng already suggested, please get a tigris.org account

Whoops, sorry Lübbe, that was actually you who suggested that.
That tortoise in your sig was misleading me ;)

Stefan

Re: Updated German translation

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.co.il>.
Daniel Shahaf wrote on Wed, 7 May 2008 at 14:58 +0300:
> Note that in your second mail (the one I'm replying to) all non-ASCII
> characters have been converted to double question marks :(

Oops, no, it's my fault...  it shows right in the archives.

I'll check my settings again, it used to work :(

Re: Updated German translation

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.co.il>.
Stefan Sperling wrote on Wed, 7 May 2008 at 13:35 +0200:
> On Wed, May 07, 2008 at 02:13:17PM +0300, Daniel Shahaf wrote:
> > > One request: Could we *please* get rid of these quoting characters
> > > that, to my knowledge, can only be represented in UTF-8?
> > > The German translation uses them (??? and ???) instead of single quotes,
> > > even though all other translation use single quotes.
> > >

> > The quotes are ?? and ??, not what you typed here.  (In Vim, they are
> > "Ctrl-K??<??<", by the way.)
>
> Ah, right. I thought they were Ctrl-K < * and Ctrl-K * >
>
> No idea what caused the mixup, I had to type blindly cause the
> box I'm at does not print the Ctrl-K < * characters properly,
> even though it supports UTF-8.

The box I'm at now doesn't print them either, but I found out their code
points (with :normal! ga) and asked
http://www.unicode.org/charts/charindex2.html what characters they are.
The answer was they are "MUCH GREATER-THAN" and "MUCH LESS-THAN". :)

> It does print the ?? and ?? quotes properly, though, no idea
> what happened, probably my font?

Yes, probably the display, since (in the original mail) the byte value
was correct:

    --oFbHfjnMgUMsrGjO

    The German translation uses them (=E2=89=AA and =E2=89=AB) instead of singl=
    e quotes,

0xE2 0x89 0xAA is the byte sequence representing the "Ctrl-K < *"
character.

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.co.il>.

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.
On Wed, May 07, 2008 at 01:33:30PM +0200, Jens Seidel wrote:
> > One request: Could we *please* get rid of these quoting characters
> > that, to my knowledge, can only be represented in UTF-8?
> > The German translation uses them (≪ and ≫) instead of single quotes,
> > even though all other translation use single quotes.

> by latin1 (iso-8859-1). The proper German quotes are indeed only usable
> in UTF-8 but even for 8bit output a transliteration to something similar
> as ,,...'' happens (I remember someone complaining about this
> transliteration) but it doesn't effect us. »...« are really a standard
> these days (at least for nearly all documents and programs in Debian).
>
> I'm not sure about Windows, thought, but it is compatible with
> Windows-1252.

Ah, OK. If they are in ISO-8859-1, I guess that's OK.

> '...' is just a big typographic mess and really not common for German
> translations.

Maybe it's a mess for novels, but we're not translating a novel.
We're translating the text of a tool that people might want to use on
an old vt100 terminal.
But there's no question that we need to use umlauts and other non-ASCII
characters that are necessary to display German words properly,
so we can assume people who want to use svn in German have
at least an ISO-8859-1 character set.

I won't stand in the way of any future translation maintainer who wants
to change the quotes to ' though.

> > I don't think it is wise to require UTF-8 for the output of
> > a comman line tool unless absolutely necessary, especially
> > since it might be used on terminals that do not understand UTF-8.
> > While the quotes as they currently are might look more pretty,
> > compatibility with older terminals should have a higher priority.
>
> Right. I haven't used any fancy UTF-8 characters yet but there exist
> special hyphens, non-breakable spaces, ... which could be useful :-)

Please let's resist the temptation :)

> > As Stefan Küng already suggested, please get a tigris.org account
> > and request commit access to the German translation. Until you
> > have that, I will gladly commit your patches (once we've sorted
> > out the quotes issue).
>
> Long time ago I obtained already a tigris.org account to be able to
> report a bug in Subversion or Subclipse. It's jensseidel.

OK. I will see if we can get you added as a committer for the
German translation.

Stefan

Re: Updated German translation

Posted by Jens Seidel <je...@users.sourceforge.net>.
Hi Stefan,

On Wed, May 07, 2008 at 01:02:28PM +0200, Stefan Sperling wrote:
> On Wed, May 07, 2008 at 11:54:40AM +0200, Jens Seidel wrote:
> > I updated the German translation of Subversion in the 1.5 branch. Please
> > commit!
>
> great to finally hear from someone who's actively working on the
> German translation.

yep, I recently sent also a initial patch agaist the German translation
of the SVNBook and provided yesterday a partial Subclipse (Eclipse
plugin) translation :-)

> I've also started updating it a bit, but haven't committed
> any changes yet.

I feared this. I started updating at least two weeks ago and was every
day happy that nobody else committed. Maybe you translated some still
untranslated messages which could be merged in (via msgmerge).

> It takes a lot of time. Since you have been working
> on the translation in the past, please keep maintaining it if
> you can, it's highly appreciated.

Yes, I always try to keep my translation up-to-date. I'm also aware
of the fact that the current one is nearly completely untested. I
started using Subclipse 1.5 snapshots recently and I think it will even
work with Eclipse since short time, so I will improve it.

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.

Posted by Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis <ar...@gmail.com>.
2008-05-07 11:54:40 Jens Seidel napisał(a):
> Hi,
>
> I updated the German translation of Subversion in the 1.5 branch. Please
> commit!

Thank you for your work!

> The following two files can be fetched from
> http://alioth.debian.org/~jseidel-guest/:
>
> de1.po: Updated source references (mainly by calling tools/po/po-update.sh)
> de2.po  Updated German translation
>
> The file de1.po doesn't contain translation updates but should be
> nevertheless committed separately (as de.po) to get a readable diff
> between de1.po and de2.po.

I think that de1.po doesn't need to be committed.
de2.po should be renamed to de.po and committed.

Also in the version for trunk please change:
"Project-Id-Version: subversion 1.4.x\n"
To:
"Project-Id-Version: subversion 1.6\n"

And when backporting to the '1.5.x' branch change that line to:
"Project-Id-Version: subversion 1.5\n"

> I *strongly* suggest you update after this all other po files via
> tools/po/po-update.sh in both trunk and 1.5 branch as well (feel free to
> include de.po *after* committing my files but it should not necessary).

Don't do it for already active translations (pl.po, zh_CN.po and fr.po).

--
Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis