Posted to dev@parquet.apache.org by Zoltan Ivanfi <zi...@cloudera.com> on 2018/03/23 12:22:48 UTC

Merging changes in the GitBox era

Hi,

Parquet was recently migrated to GitBox (thanks, Uwe!). The dev/merge.py
script can be still used by setting PUSH_REMOTE_NAME=apache-github before
invoking it. There is also a new option of merging changes using the GitHub
web UI. I personally continued using the merge script, while others started
using the GitHub web UI. However, I noticed that the latter results in less
clear commit messages/structure:

*git log --oneline* | head
92661a4 Merge pull request #89 from timarmstrong/master
809edf0 Merge pull request #86 from lekv/p323
31a9ddc Update Encodings.md with RLE_DICTIONARY
4d58831 PARQUET-1236: Align version of slf4j-api
2667e08 PARQUET-323: Mark INT96 as deprecated
a64a331 PARQUET-1201: Implement page indexes
9fef1d8 PARQUET-1197: Log rat failures
6e5b78d PARQUET-1065: Deprecate type-defined sort ordering for INT96 type
2696f9e PARQUET-1171: Clarify scope of usage for RLE, BIT_PACKED encodings
c6d306d PARQUET-1064: Deprecate type-defined sort ordering for INTERVAL
type.

*git log --oneline --graph* | head -n 15
*   92661a4 Merge pull request #89 from timarmstrong/master
|\
| * 31a9ddc Update Encodings.md with RLE_DICTIONARY
* |   809edf0 Merge pull request #86 from lekv/p323
|\ \
| |/
|/|
| * 2667e08 PARQUET-323: Mark INT96 as deprecated
* | 4d58831 PARQUET-1236: Align version of slf4j-api
|/
* a64a331 PARQUET-1201: Implement page indexes
* 9fef1d8 PARQUET-1197: Log rat failures
* 6e5b78d PARQUET-1065: Deprecate type-defined sort ordering for INT96 type
* 2696f9e PARQUET-1171: Clarify scope of usage for RLE, BIT_PACKED encodings
* c6d306d PARQUET-1064: Deprecate type-defined sort ordering for INTERVAL
type.

I would like to ask the developer community: What do you think about the
commits resulting from merging using the GitHub web UI? Are we fine with
these or should we come up with some a policy about how to merge?

Thanks,

Zoltan

Re: Merging changes in the GitBox era

Posted by Lars Volker <lv...@cloudera.com>.
Thanks all for the feedback. I created INFRA-16245
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-16245> and linked to this
thread.

Posted by Zoltan Ivanfi <zi...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Ryan Blue <rb...@netflix.com.INVALID>.