Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by "info@flyingfischer.ch" <in...@flyingfischer.ch> on 2017/06/25 13:26:49 UTC

Struts 2.5.11 not serving iclass icons

I detected a strange issue. The problem is not present in 2.5.10.1 but
only in 2.5.11:

In jsp: <i class="fa fa-envelope-o"></i>

This will not show up as icon, but as kind of scrambled text. Using
struts2-tiles-plugin.

Hard to imagine to be struts related, but could this still be possibly
related to any of the recent changes?

Thanks for considering!
Markus

Re: Struts 2.5.11 not serving iclass icons [resolved]

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>.
> Tomcat serves the JSP as Unicode/UTF-8. The css is served as ISO.

So this means something is wrong with Tomcat configuration, right? Or
you still see the issue?

Regards
--
Łukasz
+ 48 606 323 122 http://www.lenart.org.pl/

Re: Struts 2.5.11 not serving iclass icons [resolved]

Posted by "info@flyingfischer.ch" <in...@flyingfischer.ch>.
Am 26.06.2017 um 11:17 schrieb Lukasz Lenart:
>>  Using

>> resolves the issue. But I still suspect a change in coding / treating
>> unicode in Struts.
>>
>> The CSS starts with @charset "UTF-8";
> Can you check how does it serve by a server?
>

> Regards
Thanks for your patience!

Checking in browser => encoding

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>.

Posted by "info@flyingfischer.ch" <in...@flyingfischer.ch>.

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>.
> Thanks again for insisting so much on looking into this. I think I got
> the (painful simple) root reason:
>
> While further debuggin on the empty locale story, I did reset to
> 2.5.10.1 and then back again 2.5.11 and I also did clean the Tomcat
> working directory...
>
> ...now setting up a test page like below, things work out! And helas,
> even in the original page all three versions work out.
>
> I am really sorry for this. Testing is hard and may lead to false
> negatives: got 2 wrong and 2 right. I need to improve. ;-/

Great! And don't worry, I'm so thankful that you have spent so much
time on testing the new release :) I prefer to postpone a new release
instead of introducing an inconsistency in minor versions ;-)

Best regards

Posted by "info@flyingfischer.ch" <in...@flyingfischer.ch>.

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>.

Posted by "info@flyingfischer.ch" <in...@flyingfischer.ch>.

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>.

Posted by "info@flyingfischer.ch" <in...@flyingfischer.ch>.

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>.

Posted by "info@flyingfischer.ch" <in...@flyingfischer.ch>.
Am 26.06.2017 um 11:01 schrieb Lukasz Lenart:
>> Using FontAwesome
> Same here
>
>> I am on thin ice: I fear the images do display as kind of textual
>> representation of private use unicode code points, which they should
>> not. I'll try to dig deeper...
> It isn't UTF tricks, it's a normal font definition and you must define
> them in CSS first to use them:
>
> <link rel="stylesheet" href="/css/font-awesome.min.css"
>

> Regards
Yes, the import statement is already there. It is a combined css file
(fonts and other CSS statements). Works perfect, also for 2.5.11. But
the webfonts seem to be treated differently, but only if used as <i
class="fa fa-envelope-o"></i>.

I worked around for this single case.

Thanks!

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>.