Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by J Aaron Farr <fa...@apache.org> on 2004/10/04 03:27:32 UTC

Sunset on Avalon

Hello all.

Okay, let's bring it up now since it has already been hinted at on
numerous other forums:  closing up Avalon.

Now, before anyone gets concerned, let's look at the situation:

1. Excalibur is already an ASF project which supports ECM, Fortress and
soon the traditional Avalon framework, Logkit and Cornerstone.

2. Phoenix development halted a while ago and continues now at
Codehaus's Loom project

3. With Niclas's proposal, Merlin will find a new home at DPML.org

That means that everything and everyone in Avalon should be able to find
support somewhere by developers who care about their project and don't
have competing interests.

The next step would be the closure of the Avalon project.  The releases
and code would still be available under the ASL on the distribution
mirrors.  We would work up a new site which informs everyone where to
find the new projects and perhaps some appropriate redirects.

I'm bringing this up now so that any concerns by either developers or
users can be addressed.  Nothing will be closed down until we are sure
that everything has been transferred and handled properly.  That
includes moving code to Excalibur and DPML.  The absolute earliest a
closure could happen would be shortly after the next board meeting this
month, but I believe November is probably more realistic.

Anyway, if we want to table this discussion until we get the DPML
proposal handled first that is fine.  I just wanted to throw the idea
out so that we can start thinking about it.

Thanks,
jaaron