Posted to dev@jspwiki.apache.org by Juan Pablo Santos Rodríguez <ju...@gmail.com> on 2014/01/14 23:43:28 UTC

replace "(Legacy)Doc wiki" link at jspwiki.a.o?

Hi,

the "(Legacy)Doc wiki" at jspwiki.a.o points to
http://www.ecyrd.com/JSPWiki/wiki/JSPWikiDocumentation, how about changing
it to https://jspwiki-wiki.apache.org/Wiki.jsp?page=JSPWikiDocumentation?

br,
juan pablo

Re: replace "(Legacy)Doc wiki" link at jspwiki.a.o?

Posted by Harry Metske <ha...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Juan Pablo Santos Rodríguez <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hiya,

rereading the original question, I see I haven't expressed it clear before:
the intention of my question wasn't on that link pointing to something
considered "legacy" but rather on that page being for first-time users (as
stated by the page content) so it should be more "appropiate" to be linking
instead to j-wiki.a.o (more up-to-date doc, can grow up with time, etc.)

Regarding the idoneity of linking to ecyrd.com/JSPWiki, IMO we should be
pointing to the read-only wiki wherever appropiate (i.e.
ContributedPlugins, ContributedFilters, etc.); it may not have updated
info, but there are people sticking to 2.8.x who would probably find the
linking from j-wiki.a.o to ecyrd.com/JSPWiki useful..

br,
juan pablo

Posted by Janne Jalkanen <ja...@ecyrd.com>.

Posted by Ichiro Furusato <ic...@gmail.com>.
Hi Glen,

Each page on the legacy wiki has a bright yellow header on it linking to
the new
site, so I don't think too many users are going to be confused as to which
is the
current site. That header could be modified to be more clear about the
status
of the site.

While the technical information on the legacy wiki is in many cases out of
date,
there are also over 3600 pages on the legacy wiki representing the history
of
the JSPWiki project. One of the main points of a wiki is that history is
not
destroyed. Closing down the legacy site would represent the destruction of
all
of the history of the project. Some people may not find history interesting
or
valuable, but there are likewise some that do. It would be a real shame to
lose
all of that history, as there is likely an enormous amount of information
that might
be still valuable to the future of the project.

If maintaining the old site is something that Janne considers a burden,
fair
enough, but I'd prefer to take Janne's statement to the point at which when
he
wants to stop hosting the site. We are still copying (and editing) content
over
from the legacy site. I don't know that you might mean by 'bulk' -- I
wouldn't
expect to take anywhere near half of that 3603 pages -- but for all of the
content we do copy/edit over to the new site, I expect that might take some
time.

If Janne has a rough deadline for shutting down the old site it would be
good
to know what that is. Janne?

[...and if it becomes an issue we (Neocortext) might consider hosting the
legacy
content, either temporarily or indefinitely. We wouldn't host anything
except the
most current pages, and it would also depend on how much space those pages
take up.]

Ichiro

Posted by Janne Jalkanen <ja...@ecyrd.com>.
Hey, to be specific I wanted to stop hosting *jspwiki.org*, not the wiki itself. I'll gladly keep ecyrd.com/JSPWiki up as long as there are visitors in it to support people who are still using old and obsolete versions of JSPWiki. However, I wanted to get the *official* wiki off my hands and to the Apache infra :)

And basically I don't care whether there's a link to it from apache.org; Google will serve those who need to look stuff up.

/Janne

Posted by Glen Mazza <gl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ichiro Furusato <ic...@gmail.com>.
hi Juan Pablo,