Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org> on 2010/02/17 22:33:22 UTC

Droid IP clearance?

Incubator PMC,

On reading this month's report to the Board from the Incubator, the
Board was curious what, if anything, is blocking Droid's IP clearance
process and requested that I look into this.  Is someone actively
pursuing this?  If so, are there any difficulties in obtaining the
clearance?

Thanks!

Doug

Re: Droid IP clearance?

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <be...@googlemail.com>.
On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 20:51, Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org> wrote:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
>>
>> The initial code was based on Apache Nutch so all the IP were cleared
>> there. The modification that have been done by myself are all done as
>> ASF committer. There have been code adopted from Henri Yandell patch to
>> HttpComponents which as well had been cleared by himself as ASF
>> committer. The second version was a rewrite from various ASF committer
>> or based on patch submission where we have a software grant.
>> IMOH there are (and never have been) no issues about IP clearance but
>> ATM AFAIK there is no-one actively pursuing the matter. Any help highly
>> appreciated.
>
> It sounds like there are in fact no Droid IP clearance issues.  Perhaps IP
> clearance was only mentioned as an issue in the board report because it had
> not yet been explicitly addressed by the podling?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Doug

+1. Now, we have a complete breadcrump of the code's various stations
in our ML archives.
That's good.

  Bernd

Re: Droid IP clearance?

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.

Re: Droid IP clearance?

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@juntadeandalucia.es>.
On Thu, 2010-02-18 at 10:45 +0100, Bernd Fondermann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> To bring some light into this, you might want to re-read a thread from
> labs@labs.a.o from Aug 2008, starting here
>   http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/labs-labs/200808.mbox/ajax/%3c1219838773.6347.33.camel@thorsten-desktop%3e
> taking off Sept 6th, here
>   http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/labs-labs/200809.mbox/ajax/%3cA7CE0A69-851F-4B63-B384-1E8C0BDF51FF@apache.org%3e
>
> For convinience, the markmail URL of the full thread is
>   http://markmail.org/thread/vweavaitkmvz3ihm
>
> To be fair, Droids wasn't "wholly developed" at Labs from scratch, the
> initial import came with r509422.
>
> My personal take on this is that there are no IP clearance issues.
> Thorsten imported his own code base (right?), it's there to be seen
> for everyone in svn and all subsequent dev was done on ASF territory.
> I trust Thorsten on this initial large commit as much as I trust him
> on any other follow-up small commit.
>
> However, if Thorsten does not own all IP on this initial code, that's
> another thing.

The initial code was based on Apache Nutch so all the IP were cleared
there. The modification that have been done by myself are all done as
ASF committer. There have been code adopted from Henri Yandell patch to
HttpComponents which as well had been cleared by himself as ASF
committer. The second version was a rewrite from various ASF committer
or based on patch submission where we have a software grant.

IMOH there are (and never have been) no issues about IP clearance but
ATM AFAIK there is no-one actively pursuing the matter. Any help highly
appreciated.

Thanks for bringing this up Doug/Board.

salu2

>   Bernd
>
> On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 03:23, Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org> wrote:
> > I'm not involved anymore, but that strikes me as really weird given that Droids started in Labs and was wholly developed there before going to Incubator.
> >
> > On Feb 17, 2010, at 4:33 PM, Doug Cutting wrote:
> >
> >> Incubator PMC,
> >>
> >> On reading this month's report to the Board from the Incubator, the Board was curious what, if anything, is blocking Droid's IP clearance process and requested that I look into this.  Is someone actively pursuing this?  If so, are there any difficulties in obtaining the clearance?
> >>
> >> Thanks!
> >>
> >> Doug

de la Información, S.A.U. (SADESI)

Re: Droid IP clearance?