Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com> on 2009/05/11 09:03:13 UTC

Re: request to join for discussion and learning for James deployment crossing J2ee app server

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 7:45 AM,  <ja...@gssd.com.cn> wrote:
> Hi all,

cool

> I am working on some mail server product evaluation, basing on the main approach as Java+Oracle, now I am quite interested in the James product
> since it is pure Java-based, and seeking if it is feasible to migrate James from phoenix container to other main J2ee app server, e.g. Weblogic, now
> there should be a branch named spring-deployment, just wonder if the simplest way is to adapt it and applied the spring context to the app server?

yes, it's feasible

the code on that branch is now in trunk. if you check out trunk and
run ant clean dist then the spring distribution is created in
spring-deployment. IIRC some work has been done on a war
implementation but more contributions in that direction would be
great.

AIUI the main problem ATM is a number of legacy third party libraries
with bad MANEFESTS but hopefully other people who know more will jump
in...

- robert

Re: request to join for discussion and learning for James deployment crossing J2ee app server

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <bf...@brainlounge.de>.
Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
> On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 7:45 AM,  <ja...@gssd.com.cn> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>
> cool
>
>> I am working on some mail server product evaluation, basing on the main approach as Java+Oracle, now I am quite interested in the James product
>> since it is pure Java-based, and seeking if it is feasible to migrate James from phoenix container to other main J2ee app server, e.g. Weblogic, now
>> there should be a branch named spring-deployment, just wonder if the simplest way is to adapt it and applied the spring context to the app server?
>
> yes, it's feasible
>
> the code on that branch is now in trunk. if you check out trunk and
> run ant clean dist then the spring distribution is created in
> spring-deployment. IIRC some work has been done on a war
> implementation but more contributions in that direction would be
> great.
>
> AIUI the main problem ATM is a number of legacy third party libraries
> with bad MANEFESTS but hopefully other people who know more will jump
> in...

See
  http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JAMES-834
for more info on this.