Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Jesús Alberto Cantú Peña <jc...@ecaresoft.com> on 2021/02/17 00:47:28 UTC

OpenOffice for Amazon Linux in aarch64 architecture

Hello
Can you please let me know if there is an open office version to install it
in a Linux machine with aarch64 architecture?
Thanks.
I appreciated your help.

*Jesús Alberto Cantú Peña**DevOps and Operations Manager | Ecaresoft Inc*

WhatsApp calls & messages <https://api.whatsapp.com/send?phone=528183661261>
getcirrus.com <http://www.getcirrus.com/> | nimbo-x.com
<http://www.nimbo-x.com/> | usenebula.com <http://www.usenebula.com/>

NOTICE: The information contained in this message is proprietary and/or
confidential and may be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient
of this communication, you are hereby notified to: (i) delete the message
and all copies; (ii) do not disclose, distribute or use the message in any
manner; and (iii) notify the sender immediately.

Re: OpenOffice for Amazon Linux in aarch64 architecture

Posted by Mechtilde <oo...@mechtilde.de>.
Hello Jesús Alberto Cantú Peña

Your cooperation would be appreciated

Kind regards

Mechtilde

Am 17.02.21 um 18:44 schrieb Marcus:
> Am 17.02.21 um 15:19 schrieb Jesús Alberto Cantú Peña:
>> Hello:
>> I started using AWS g4 generation machines and i need an open office
>> software for that kind of architecture: (Linux machine aarch64)
>> Do you know if exist an Open Office versión to be installed on that
>> architecture machines?
>
> at the moment we don't have a ready-to-use installation for ARM-based
> systems. There is the idea to support this but no progress at the moment.
>
> Marcus
>

>> Hello
>> Can you please let me know if there is an open office version to
>> install it
>> in a Linux machine with aarch64 architecture?
>> Thanks.
>> I appreciated your help.
>>
>> On Tue, Feb 16, 2021 at 7:49 PM Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> There may be a member of the developer community working on building
>>> OpenOffice for that architecture.
>>>
>>> I would suggest asking this on dev@openoffice.Apache.org.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Dave
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone

>>> it

Mechtilde Stehmann
## Apache OpenOffice
## Freie Office Suite für Linux, MacOSX, Windows und OS/2
## Debian Developer
## PGP encryption welcome
## F0E3 7F3D C87A 4998 2899  39E7 F287 7BBA 141A AD7F

Re: OpenOffice for Amazon Linux in aarch64 architecture

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by Damjan Jovanovic <da...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Feb 17, 2021 at 4:49 PM Jesús Alberto Cantú Peña <
jcantu@ecaresoft.com> wrote:

> Hello:
> I started using AWS g4 generation machines and i need an open office
> software for that kind of architecture: (Linux machine aarch64)
> Do you know if exist an Open Office versión to be installed on that
> architecture machines?
>
> Thanks
> Jesús

Hi

With OpenOffice it's not just a matter of recompiling for a new
architecture. Each architecture needs its own bridge to be developed, to
support low-level interoperability between UNO programming languages, such
as calling C++ methods from Java, converting Java exceptions to C++, etc.
This is extremely difficult, requiring not only assembly language, but even
machine code in some cases.

While we do have support for the 32 bit ARM ABI in our gcc3_freebsd_arm and
gcc3_linux_arm bridges, the Aarch64 architecture requires a new bridge to
be developed.

Wikipedia claims Aarch64 is compatible with 32 bit ARM, so maybe you could
run the 32 bit ARM build of OpenOffice instead?

Some old notes on how to build OpenOffice for ARM:
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/ARM

Damjan

Re: OpenOffice for Amazon Linux in aarch64 architecture

Posted by Jesús Alberto Cantú Peña <jc...@ecaresoft.com>.
Hello:

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.
Hi,