Posted to dev@taverna.apache.org by Christian Brenninkmeijer <ch...@manchester.ac.uk> on 2015/03/12 11:24:21 UTC

Third level menus

Hi All,
I was wondering how to allow user access to third levl pages.

Such as
http://taverna.incubator.apache.org/documentation/scufl2/bundle

Three possible options.

1. Change the nav bar to add a "scufl2" menu if and only is a scufl2 page is looked at.
See current implementation

2. Add a side menu bar to Scufl2 pages for these third level ect pages

3. Add extra non standard javascript as shown at:
http://www.bootply.com/nZaxpxfiXz
(Note: I have not tested to see if this works on the Apache server yet.

Christian

RE: Third level menus

Posted by Christian Brenninkmeijer <ch...@manchester.ac.uk>.
Hi All,
I have pushed the sidebar to the left (except for small where it is below)

Ian and I have tracked down the large white space below the menu bar and removed that.

Having tested the clickable top level menu items on an ipad I found I could not reach any submenus.
Therefor with regret I have removed that and instead placed a home item as the top of each submenu

Christian

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.
perhaps one long page  with #anchor menu thing would work?

Just imagine the menu worked here:

http://taverna.staging.apache.org/documentation/scufl2/combined

(some broken HTML there.. but nevermind)

Re: Third level menus

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.

Re: Third level menus

Posted by alaninmcr <al...@googlemail.com>.
On 12/03/2015 10:24, Christian Brenninkmeijer wrote:
> Hi All,
> I was wondering how to allow user access to third levl pages.
>
> Such as
> http://taverna.incubator.apache.org/documentation/scufl2/bundle
>
> Three possible options.
>
> 1. Change the nav bar to add a "scufl2" menu if and only is a scufl2 page is looked at.
> See current implementation

Visitors may not notice the revised menu; it becomes difficult to
describe where a problem is e.g. "when I click on the scufl2 menu... bad
thing happens" -> "what scufl2 menu"

> 2. Add a side menu bar to Scufl2 pages for these third level ect pages

Much nicer.

> 3. Add extra non standard javascript as shown at:
> http://www.bootply.com/nZaxpxfiXz
> (Note: I have not tested to see if this works on the Apache server yet.
>
> Christian

Alan

Re: Third level menus

Posted by "Donal K. Fellows" <do...@manchester.ac.uk>.
On 12/03/2015 13:21, alaninmcr wrote:
> Can the side bar go on the left? It seems odd to me to have it on the
> right.

Websites put this sort of thing on both sides, so users will definitely
not have any sort of expectation. As long as we're consistent within the
site, it doesn't matter which we pick.

Donal.

Re: Third level menus

Posted by alaninmcr <al...@googlemail.com>.
On 12/03/2015 12:20, Christian Brenninkmeijer wrote:
> I have added a sidebar as suggested by Ian.
> Which has the advantage that it can also go to a fourth level.
>
> Currently both extra menu item and side bar are implemented.

Can the side bar go on the left? It seems odd to me to have it on the right.

> If I don't hear differently I will assume everyone agrees with Ian and remove the extra menu item early next week.
>
> Christian

Alan

Re: Third level menus

Posted by Ian Dunlop <ia...@manchester.ac.uk>.