Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Anoop kumar V <an...@gmail.com> on 2006/06/03 07:30:54 UTC

Re: Ant build | IOException

Thanks to all for the suggestions... this is the first weekend I found where
I could spend some time on Harmony.

The error was because I did not have 'make' installed on my system (Ubuntu
on linux). The documentation talks about 'nmake' for windows, so probably it
is a good idea to include 'make' as one of the required s/w for linux...
(gcc also does not come with make)

Hooray -  I completed a successful build - it took 3 min 45 seconds.

Thanks,
Anoop

On 5/30/06, Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com> wrote:

> Anoop kumar V wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am a n00b wanting to contribute to Harmony.
>
> We're all newbies at some point, so don't worry about that :)
>

> > All  I have done so far (code-wise) is checkout the harmony code
> (revision
> > 410710) from svn and run ant from ~/Harmony/make folder.
> >
> > But I am running into errors:
> > I am using GCJ on Ubuntu5.10.
>
> There's your problem, I suspect, as I don't think anyone has tried using
> GCJ.
>
> [SNIP]
>

> > Can someone please point me what is the obvious-wrong I am doing?
> > Should I use Sun / Bea java for the build? And can I do development for
> > Harmony using some IDE like IntelliJ IDEA? And Should I not run the
> default
> > ant target if I am just going to do java work?
>
> While you should be able to self-host now using the J9 evaluation VM
> from IBM, others have noted it might be easier if you just go get the
> distro from Sun or BEA and start with that while you come up to speed.
>
> Yes, you can use IntelliJ - everyone can use the tools that are best for
> them, and the project will remain IDE neutral. :)
>
> As for the default ant target, you should run that to build the native
> libraries.  We've been talking about making a development kit available
> that has those precompiled, but I think it's worth your while getting it
> to build from top to bottom at least once.
>
> Welcome, and thanks for volunteering :)
>
> geir

Thanks and best regards,
Anoop

Re: Ant build | IOException

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Anoop kumar V wrote:
> Thanks to all for the suggestions... this is the first weekend I found
> where
> I could spend some time on Harmony.
>
> The error was because I did not have 'make' installed on my system (Ubuntu
> on linux). The documentation talks about 'nmake' for windows, so
> probably it
> is a good idea to include 'make' as one of the required s/w for linux...
> (gcc also does not come with make)

Good catch on the requirements.  Care to submit a documentation patch?

:)

> Hooray -  I completed a successful build - it took 3 min 45 seconds.

woo hoo!

geir