Posted to user@ctakes.apache.org by Vlad Valtchinov <vl...@gmail.com> on 2013/09/16 23:10:38 UTC

configuring cTakes for getting input from a db table and persisting output to i2b2 and/or flat db table

Hello cTakes Users-

we're relatively new to cTakes (even though not to NLP)

and are currently evaluating cTakes 3.0 for moving some of

our clinical radiology DSS pipeline to Apache cTakes.

We have an evaluation install under Linux, and would like to start

with configuring cTakes to a) take input from a ms sql db table, and b)

configure it so that it writes NLP results back to the db, in i2b2 format as
well

as in a flat table format. Somebody out there has probably implemented this
already  -

can you point us to an online resource where this is detailed, or even
better

share binary implementation with us? cTakes is supposedly very similar to
another

Apache project, Solr, and yet we could not find a clear documentation of

DataHandler configuration under cTakes... maybe not looking at the right
place...

Thanks much in advance.

Vlad Valtchinov

Brigham Radiology, CEBI

RE: configuring cTakes for getting input from a db table and persisting output to i2b2 and/or flat db table

Posted by Vlad Valtchinov <vl...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the responses, Pei.

So what seems to be the prevailing and most mature deployment mode out there
-

deposit xml formatted input files in a given directory and cTakes write the

results back in a similar format? Any idea how this compares in speed and
scalability to

the db input/db output option?

Regarding JdbcCollectionReader (input) and CasConsumer (output) enabling -

are there ways to add and configure those from the visual tool, CVD (as it
is done in the

ctakes i2b2 tool on the i2b2 wiki)? Also, where do you

specify the mapping of the db columns to the internal filed names so cTakes
knows

what to process (like i.e. in the DataHandler's section of the
solrconfig.xml file)?

If somebody has implemented a similar cTakes config and would be willing to

share the details and the wisdom we will appreciate tremendously.

Regards,

vlad

persisting output to i2b2 and/or flat db table

> to a) take input from a ms sql db table

Something like a JdbcCollectionReader?

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ctakes/trunk/ctakes-core/src/main/java/org/a
pache/ctakes/core/cr/JdbcCollectionReader.java

>b) configure it so that it writes NLP results back to the db

Something like a CasConsumer?

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ctakes/trunk/ctakes-core/src/main/java/org/a
pache/ctakes/core/cc/CasConsumer.java

>, in i2b2 format as well as in a flat table format.

There was some early/prelim work done in sandbox on the i2b2 formats, but
never really made it to mainstream ctakes (yet.).

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ctakes/sandbox/ctakes-gui/src/main/java/org/
chboston/cnlp/ctakes/gui/runtime/result/

--Pei

Posted by "Carrell, David" <ca...@ghc.org>.
Our NLP developers have created components that can be called in the collection processing engine's (CPE) configurator to read from a relational database (via ODBC) and to either write the structured data to a relational database or to a flat (CSV) file.  It is very useful.  I think a wizard to allow non-developers to implement the same locally would be greatly appreciated.
-David Carrell
Group Health

Posted by Karthik Sarma <ks...@ksarma.com>.

Posted by "Chen, Pei" <Pe...@childrens.harvard.edu>.