Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Marcin Mirosław <ma...@mejor.pl> on 2011/04/01 12:08:36 UTC

Re: One thing about bug 6558

W dniu 30.03.2011 16:27, Adam Moffett pisze:

> Your watchdog idea is a valid one,

Should i fill bug with this idea (or bug descibed there:
http://osdir.com/ml/users-spamassassin/2011-03/msg00481.html or there:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/spamassassin/users/161931#161931 ) ?
Or it's enough it was discussed here?

Regards!
Marcin

Re: One thing about bug 6558

Posted by Mark Martinec <Ma...@ijs.si>.
Marcin,

> This option doesn't work as i wish ;) spamd child isn't killing after
> time set in --timeout-child, it is working, and working and utilizes
> 100% CPU until i send kill signal.
> It seems for me this option works as described below:
> (for this example --timeout-child=10 sec)

> Should i fill bug with this idea (or bug descibed there:
> http://osdir.com/ml/users-spamassassin/2011-03/msg00481.html or there:
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/spamassassin/users/161931#161931 ) ?
> Or it's enough it was discussed here?

It would be worthwhile to investigate your spamd's debug log and
see what is going on. The --timeout-child sets a deadline time, which
then controls most of the stages of spam checking, although it is
not a hard promise: perl uses a concept of safe-signals which means
that atomic perl opcodes won't be interrupted by a timer. If a runaway
regexp of a rule takes excessive time, the deadline exceeded will only
be detected after that rule has finished its work. Similarly some database
operations are not interrupted by SpamAssassin right after a deadline
is reached, but are allowed to complete for the sake of database integrity.
So it is not uncommon that a deadline gets exceeded occasionally by
few seconds. Seeing delays larger than that are worth investigating.

> spamc gets answer from daemon:
>   0.0 TIME_LIMIT_EXCEEDED    Exceeded time limit / deadline

All the tests that have completed up till the deadline should be included
in the reported score. It may be the TIME_LIMIT_EXCEEDED alone,
but more commonly there would be other tests too. If you always see
a TIME_LIMIT_EXCEEDED as the only reported test and a score of 0,
then this should be investigated and warrants opening a ticket.

  Mark