Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Alessandro Caviglione <c....@gmail.com> on 2014/12/07 01:49:59 UTC

Strange instance boot issue

Hi guys,
I'm sorry if I submit this problem, I honestly do not think it is a fault
of CloudStack, but I do not know where to look anymore ...
For several days (up to a week ago I did not have this problem) I have
trouble creating templates and run instances.
My infrastructure is composed of CS4.4.1 and 4 XenServer 6.2 hosts.
I want to point out that the problem is not due to poor storage performance.
When I create an instance from an ISO, the installation time is greatly
increased.
When restarting the instances, for example windows VMs, they remain in the
boot about 30 minutes.
The strange thing is that when instances are started, the performances are
excellent!
What's even more strange is that trying to install a new VM directly from
XenServer, installation is fast and the boot issue when restart the VMs
does not appear and also boot is very fast (about 20/30 sec.)
In short, the problem seems to be only when the VMs are managed by
CloudStack.
I found this article and correct the BIOS of my server, even though I had
never encountered this problem until a week ago. (
http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX127395)

Someone can give me some guidance?

Re: Strange instance boot issue

Posted by Alessandro Caviglione <c....@gmail.com>.
Hi Geoff,
thank you for your tech suggest!
I think you're right, in fact changing compute offering to 1 GHz the server
boot up in 10 sec...
Thank you very much, also today I've learned something! :)

On Mon, Dec 8, 2014 at 10:42 AM, Geoff Higginbottom <
geoff.higginbottom@shapeblue.com> wrote:

> Hi Allesandro,
>
> This is just a hunch, but could it be that Windows only uses its 1st CPU
> to handle the boot process.  If this is the case when you allocate 4vCPU @
> 500Mhz it only has 500Mhz of CPU power to process the very intensive boot
> process, vs having 2000Mhz when you allocate a single vCPU @ 200MHz.
>
> I believe it's always better to provide a faster single vCPU than multiple
> Slower vCPUs as there are overheads on the Guest OS and Hypervisor when
> dealing with multiple vCPUs.
>
> Regards
>
> Geoff Higginbottom

> geoff.higginbottom@shapeblue.com

This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Shape Blue Ltd or related companies. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must neither take any action based upon its contents, nor copy or show it to anyone. Please contact the sender if you believe you have received this email in error. Shape Blue Ltd is a company incorporated in England & Wales. ShapeBlue Services India LLP is a company incorporated in India and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. Shape Blue Brasil Consultoria Ltda is a company incorporated in Brasil and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue SA Pty Ltd is a company registered by The Republic of South Africa and is traded under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue is a registered trademark.

Re: Strange instance boot issue

Posted by Alessandro Caviglione <c....@gmail.com>.
Ok... maybe I found the issue!!