Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Eric Barboni <sk...@apache.org> on 2017/10/02 13:16:40 UTC

Wiki page on how to submit PR

Hi,

  I started a new page [1] to help people making PR. I'm novice in git and
nice workflow with GitHub.

  Changing name and mail seems to be important but as git by default allow
committing with local name you may lose a bit of time (:D) .

Many thanks to Matthias and Emilian

 Regards

-Eric

[1]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=74681408

Re: Wiki page on how to submit PR

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

On Mon, 2 Oct 2017, 15:16 Eric Barboni, <sk...@apache.org> wrote:

>   I started a new page [1] to help people making PR. I'm novice in git and
> nice workflow with GitHub.

This is a good start. From experience if this is particularly aimed at
people unused to GitHub, you may want to be more explicit that a reason for
using branches is that the PR is not fixed at the point you create it -
further commits to that branch affects the PR. This seems to confuse people
who've not done it before. I've had a few PR on projects that acquired some
unintended additions!

Best wishes,

Neil

> --
Neil C Smith
Artist & Technologist
www.neilcsmith.net

Re: Wiki page on how to submit PR

Posted by Matthias Bläsing <mb...@doppel-helix.eu>.
Hi Emilian,

Am Montag, den 02.10.2017, 16:36 +0300 schrieb Emilian Bold:
> Most important, before a master commit:
>
> git checkout feature
> git checkout -b temporary-branch
> git rebase -i master
> # [Clean up the history]
> git checkout master
> git merge temporary-branch

why do you insist on an rebase on master? Ok that allows fast-forward
merges, but apart from that I don't see the benefit.

I never worked with signed PRs, but as rebasing changes history, I
don't see this working together.

The netbeans code base is highly modular, so merge conflicts are not
that likely to occur, so even less need for rebases.

Greetings

Matthias

Re: Wiki page on how to submit PR

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.