Posted to dev@airflow.apache.org by Jarek Potiuk <ja...@potiuk.com> on 2024/04/18 11:10:32 UTC

[VOTE] AIP-67 Multi-team deployment of Airflow components

Hello here.

I have not not heard a lot of feedback after my last update, so let me
start a vote, hoping that the last changes proposed addressed most of the
concerns.

Just to recap. the proposal is here:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/AIRFLOW/AIP-67+Multi-team+deployment+of+Airflow+components

Summarizing the most recent changes - responding to comments and doubts
raised during the discussion:

* renamed it to be multi-team to clarify that this is the only case it
addresses
* splitting it into two phases: without and with internal API AIP-44 (also
named as GRPC server)
* implifying the approach for Variables and Connections, where no changes
in Airflow will be needed to handle the DB updates.

This makes phase 1 simpler and not depending on AIP-44.

The vote will last till next Friday 26th of April 2024 Noon CEST.

J.

Re: [VOTE] AIP-67 Multi-team deployment of Airflow components

Posted by Amogh Desai <am...@gmail.com>.
I agree with whatever decision comes out of this conversation going forward.

I personally think the below option is the best given the fact that we
might be doing Airflow 3 with a certain theme in mind:

*only implement multi-team as an Airflow 3 feature (which might be
mucheasier to do - depending on the scope of Airflow 3 changes we will
target -some of the changes proposed have a significant overlap with the
multi-teamproposal and we should make sure to discuss it as part of our
Airflow 3planning.*

Thanks & Regards,
Amogh Desai

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <ja...@potiuk.com>.

Posted by "Mehta, Shubham" <sh...@amazon.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Amogh Desai <am...@gmail.com>.
+1 binding.

Excited to see this happen!

Thanks & Regards,
Amogh Desai

Team id as dag_id prefix: (was [VOTE] AIP-67)

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <ja...@potiuk.com>.
Hey Ash and Daniel (and others unconvinced),

I split the discussion here so that we do not clutter the VOTE thread.

I hope I can convince you that yes, it makes sense to approach it this way
and that you withdraw the veto Ash. It needs a bit of context and the
separate discussion I started on Airflow 3 and Strategic vs. Tactical
approach started
https://lists.apache.org/thread/3chvg9964zvh15mtrbl073f4oj3nlzp2

For this particular case:

I would not state it better than what Ash himself already made as the
comment in the document:

"I worry what this does to our database schemas! We'd need to add
tennant_id to *almost every single* PK wouldn't we?"

Yes. I worry about it too. And I want to avoid making huge changes to the
whole Airflow with that. But also I think it should not be something we
should carry forward in that form.

This is mostly a "deployment" option that makes it easy to namespace and
isolate DAGs - which is likely not going to be needed at all if we redesign
Airflow 3 (if we go that route of course). So future-evolving approach with
a complete schema etc is really not a goal here. I treat it - explicitly
more as a band-aid than a long-term approach.

And I think what we are really looking at with AIP-67 (like with AIP-44 -
internal API and a number of others) is a tactical approach to add features
that users need for Airflow 2.

For me I see this AIP as a "tactical" approach, where we implement minimum
things needed to support the use case for Airflow 2, but we would not want
this to be carried over to what's coming next as possibly Airflow 3 - and
this is why I think it's acceptable to make it a "band-aid" kind of
approach.

And I think we should look at this decision with that as a context.

J.

Posted by Igor Kholopov <ik...@google.com.INVALID>.
+1 (non-binding)

Posted by Daniel Standish <da...@astronomer.io.INVALID>.

Posted by "Hussain, Syed" <sy...@amazon.com.INVALID>.
+1 (non-binding)

Nice to see it moving along!

________________________________

Posted by Ash Berlin-Taylor <as...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Scheffler Jens (XC-AS/EAE-ADA-T)" <Je...@de.bosch.com.INVALID>.
+1 binding and many thanks for the lively discussion and alignment! Get it going!

Sent from Outlook for iOS<https://aka.ms/o0ukef>
________________________________

Posted by Pierre Jeambrun <pi...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)