Posted to users@netbeans.apache.org by Richard Grin <Ri...@univ-cotedazur.fr> on 2019/06/15 09:46:21 UTC

NetBeans for Java EE 8

Hi,

I'm preparing a course on Java EE for this fall. When can I expect a
NetBeans version adapted to Java EE 8? Is it already planned?

Will the last versions of Payara be included in the available servers?

I have been using NetBeans for a long time because the installation of
the working environment was very simple for students but this is not
quite the case these days.

Richard

Re: NetBeans for Java EE 8

Posted by Richard Grin <Ri...@univ-cotedazur.fr>.
Hi Geertjan,

A use case that you can reproduce with NetBeans 11.0 (Build incubator-netbeans-release-404-on-20190319)
Java: 1.8.0_172; Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM 25.172-b11
Runtime: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment 1.8.0_172-b11
System: Windows 10 version 10.0 running on amd64; Cp1252; fr_FR (nb).

Menu File > New Project. Java with Maven and Web Application. Next.

I give a name to the project. Next.

Server Payara 5.192. No choice for Java EE 8. I choose Java EE 7 Web. Click Finish.

If I want to use a wizard to generate some code:

Right click on the project > New > Entity Classes from Database.

Right click on the project > New > JSF Pages from Entity Classes. Add all the entity classes. Next.

I choose JSF 2.2 (no "JSF 2.3").

[  Just by the way, at this moment there is a problem if I launch the application by mistake. NetBeans is stuck for a very long time because Payara cannot start and it is not possible to cancel quickly the process by clicking on the square linked to the process at the bottom of the NetBeans window.  ]

If I want to use Java EE 8 instead of Jva EE 7, I must make changes in pom;xml (which ones exactly? Not so clear) and in web.xml and persistence.xml (change the versions).

Instead I could use some Maven archetypes as you suggest; I think I will choose this solution if nothing is changed in NetBeans before my course. I have found 2 archetypes: from Adam Bien and from Philip Riecks.

But with the older versions of NetBeans and Java EE, all was out of the box and it was a big advantage over other IDEs. It's no longer quite the case today with NetBeans 11 and Java EE 8. It is the simple explanation of what I said in my previous message. In my course I have a lot of things to explain in a very short time and don't want to spend too much time in installation details or on Maven.

It's good news that Payara will soon be integrated in NetBeans without an external plugin. Where can I find the elements by Josh Juneau about Java EE 8? Will they be integrated in the next version of NetBeans? Around what date will it be ready (to find out if I can wait before preparing my course)?

Thanks for the good work of the whole team working on NetBeans.

Best regards,

Richard

Le 15/06/2019 à 12:30, Geertjan Wielenga a écrit :

Can you be very explicit about ‘but that is not quite the case these days’? Do you mean specifically the need for an installer, which already exists, but you can’t find it? We need very explicit statements because we really want to support you.

And what do you mean explicitly about NetBeans ‘adapted to Java EE 8’, very explicitly? We have a PR right now about Payara integration by the Payara team, as well as a PR by Josh Juneau about various UI elements explicitly including Java EE 8. So these are available but not integrated yet.

Though using Maven you could set up an archetype, e.g., the AirHacks archetypes by Adam Bien, which support Java EE 8, and deploy to GlassFish, from Apache NetBeans 11.0 onwards.

Gj

On Sat, 15 Jun 2019 at 11:46, Richard Grin <Ri...@univ-cotedazur.fr>> wrote:
Hi,

I'm preparing a course on Java EE for this fall. When can I expect a
NetBeans version adapted to Java EE 8? Is it already planned?

Will the last versions of Payara be included in the available servers?

I have been using NetBeans for a long time because the installation of
the working environment was very simple for students but this is not
quite the case these days.

Richard

Cordialement,

Richard Grin

Re: NetBeans for Java EE 8

Posted by Richard Grin <Ri...@univ-cotedazur.fr>.
Thanks a lot Josh for the information.  I have just read your message after answering Geerjan (whom I was asking for it).

Le 15/06/2019 à 17:37, Josh Juneau a écrit :
Hi Richard,

The PR for inclusion of Java EE 8 support has been issued...I'm just working out a few minor build discrepancies...hoping to get it into the next release.  As far as creating a Java EE 8 application project, you can also use the Maven archetype that I developed for use with Apache NetBeans:

https://github.com/juneau001/javaee8-archetype

The Java EE 8 support uses this archetype when it creates a new Java EE 8 project.  The Java EE 8 support also adds support for GlassFish 5.0.1 and GlassFish 5.1.  Let me know if you have any questions.

Josh Juneau
juneau001@gmail.com<ma...@gmail.com>
http://jj-blogger.blogspot.com
https://www.apress.com/us/search?query=Juneau<https://www.apress.com/index.php/author/author/view/id/1866>

Re: NetBeans for Java EE 8

Posted by Josh Juneau <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi Richard,

Re: NetBeans for Java EE 8

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.

Re: NetBeans for Java EE 8

Posted by Pieter van den Hombergh <pi...@gmail.com>.
Exactly those, but let me have a look to verify.
My list is
Payara micro,
Payara ee common
Payara common
Payara server
Payara tooling.

I use maven projects throughout now, which lets me specify the javaee-api
version 8.0

Re: NetBeans for Java EE 8

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.
Yes, or here: