Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Gary Gale <ga...@formscape.com> on 2003/11/21 10:17:41 UTC

[users@httpd] server/exports.c fails to Compile for Apache 2.0.48 under Solaris using Sun Workshop Compiler

I'm having problems compiling Apache 2.0.48 under the Sun Workshop (aka
Forte) compiler on Solaris 8. The file server/exports.c fails to compile
(this problem also occurs for Apache 2.0.47).

>From examining the source file in question, it would seem that exports.c is
auto generated by make_exports.awk but that it includes a large number of
APR function definitions twice. Taking just one of them for an example, the
symbol "ap_hack_apr_version_string" is defined at line 1541 as

<snip>
/*
 * /export/home/garyg/projects/httpd-2.0.47/srclib/apr/include/apr_version.h
 */
const void *ap_hack_apr_version = (const void *)apr_version;
const void *ap_hack_apr_version_string = (const void *)apr_version_string;
</snip>

And then again at then end of the file, at line 2421 as

<snip>
/*
 * /space/garyg-projects/httpd-2.0.47/srclib/apr/include/apr_version.h
 */
const void *ap_hack_apr_version = (const void *)apr_version;
const void *ap_hack_apr_version_string = (const void *)apr_version_string;
</snip>

Unsurprisingly, the compiler doesn't seem to like this and reports it as

"/export/home/garyg/projects/httpd-2.0.47/server/exports.c", line 2431:
identifi
er redefined: ap_hack_apr_version_string
        current : pointer to const void
        previous: pointer to const void :
"/export/home/garyg/projects/httpd-2.0
.47/server/exports.c", line 1549

Apache was configured as follows:

$ CC=/opt/SUNWspro/bin/cc CXX=/opt/SUNWspro/CC ./configure
--prefix=/opt/FormscapeSoftware/Covus1/Apache2

The C and C++ compiler versions are

$ cc -V
cc: Sun WorkShop 6 update 2 C 5.3 2001/05/15
usage: cc [ options] files.  Use 'cc -flags' for details

$ CC -V
CC: Sun WorkShop 6 update 2 C++ 5.3 Patch 111685-09 2002/07/17

And the output of uname -a is

SunOS fssoldev 5.8 Generic_108528-15 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Blade-1000

Incidentally, I've tried the build with both the native Solaris flavour of
awk and with GNU gawk - with the same results.

I've Googled for this problem and searched the MARC archives both in this
list and for dev@httpd.apache.org but haven't turned up any hits for this or
a similar problem. Can anyone shed any light onto this?

Cheers

Gary

--
Gary Gale, Senior Formscape Architect, Formscape Software Ltd

Re: [users@httpd] server/exports.c fails to Compile for Apache 2.0.48 under Solaris using Sun Workshop Compiler

Posted by "John P. Dodge" <do...@cruciate.ca.boeing.com>.
On Fri, 21 Nov 2003, Gary Gale wrote:

> I'm having problems compiling Apache 2.0.48 under the Sun Workshop (aka
> Forte) compiler on Solaris 8. The file server/exports.c fails to compile
> (this problem also occurs for Apache 2.0.47).
>
> >From examining the source file in question, it would seem that exports.c is
> auto generated by make_exports.awk but that it includes a large number of
> APR function definitions twice. Taking just one of them for an example, the
> symbol "ap_hack_apr_version_string" is defined at line 1541 as

This is the "path to source dir contains symlink" problem. Set your dir to
the explicit root qualified dir and rerun the configure.