Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "J. Greenlees" <ja...@shaw.ca> on 2002/11/23 09:19:50 UTC

[users@httpd] file sizes....

over the last few months I have seen several people refer to a file as
large. ( 10 - 12 kb )
I was just wondering what is a large file by as many people as possible
definition?

and for the record, I am frequently hosting / transferring files of 700
megabytes. ( yes full 700 mb iso files )
so for me large is more in the range of gigabyte size not puny little
half second downloads of 10 to 12 kb.

Jaqui

Re: [users@httpd] file sizes....

Posted by Jacob Coby <jc...@listingbook.com>.
> I do see your point about type of file though. it is to be expected that
> an image will be quite a bit larger in general than an html / text file.
> though, if you look at php nuke you will see some that are close to 100
> k in the php files for it. ( at least in version 4, which was last one I
> looked at in detail )

100k in source is nothing.  We have more than that in cron jobs :)

It really depends on the context as to what is a 'large' file.  To the OS, a
large file is one bigger than 32 bits (2^32), requiring a 64-bit fs.  To a
web user running on 56k, a 120k html page is large, taking several seconds
to see.  To the same user on a high-speed line, 1200k becomes large.

To your average user, bytes, kilobytes, megabytes, gigabytes, and transfer
rates don't mean diddly squat.  They know that this site takes 10 sec to
view and that this other site takes 5 seconds to view.  Most of the time
another site may take 2 seconds, but today it is taking 5.

So I propose this definition, in the context of web services: a big file is
one that takes 5-10 seconds to view.  A large file takes 11-90 seconds, and
a huge file takes 91+ seconds.  You can also define them as a big file is
'fairly quick', a large file takes 'a while', and a huge file takes
'forever' to download.

-Jacob

Re: [users@httpd] file sizes....

Posted by "J. Greenlees" <ja...@shaw.ca>.
the files that were mentioned in both comments over the last few months
were image files.  I have worked with images that were 100 megs, that
became 20 k web graphics :-)

Re: [users@httpd] file sizes....

Posted by Sebastien Bellerive <se...@sympatico.ca>.