Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Eric Bus <eb...@xs4all.nl> on 2002/02/14 12:50:17 UTC

VirtualHost stops working after some time

I have a strange problem with Apache. I run a server for some clients and they
all have a domain (which I don't host). They've pointed their domains to my
server's ip and I created some VirtualHosts for them. So far, everything works
fine. But after a while some of the VirtualHosts stop working. Instead of
returning the VirtualHost DocumentRoot, their visitors get MY DocumentRoot,
which is installed as default.

After this happens I just restart the Apache server and everything works fine
again. Untill it happens again...

Any idea what can cause this problem?

Eric

Re: VirtualHost stops working after some time

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Thu, 14 Feb 2002, Kevin M. Shortt wrote:

> > returning the VirtualHost DocumentRoot, their visitors get MY DocumentRoot,
> > which is installed as default.
> >

> > Any idea what can cause this problem?
>
> This sounds DNS related. When this condition occurs for me, it means I've
> not setup my DNS yet, or I did it with a typo. I usually correct the
> problem and restart my DNS.

Possible.  Another possibility is that you are running SuSE Linux or
another setup with mod_dynvhost enabled.  This module has known problems
which can screw up ordinary virtual hosting.

Joshua.

Re: VirtualHost stops working after some time

Posted by "Kevin M. Shortt" <sh...@cgicafe.com>.

> returning the VirtualHost DocumentRoot, their visitors get MY DocumentRoot,
> which is installed as default.
>

> Any idea what can cause this problem?

This sounds DNS related. When this condition occurs for me, it means I've
not setup my DNS yet, or I did it with a typo. I usually correct the
problem and restart my DNS.

Yet, I've never had it working and then malfunction mysteriously.
Check the ttl on that host.

One way to check ttl is to run "dig soa hostname.domain.com" and
look at the line that says "; minimum". if your duration is equal
to that, your apache server may not be looking it up correctly
once the time has elasped.

I hope this helps...

-k