Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org> on 2006/12/11 11:00:17 UTC

Tagging tomcat-native 1.1.8

Hi,

I'll tag the 1.1.8 later today and put the distro files in regular
places, so they can be used for Tomcat builds.

BTW, can we again consider to use the minimum version required
to that version (1.1.8).
Although the API is compatible with 1.1.3 version, the all versions
between 1.1.3 and 1.1.8 are broken for AjpAprConnector except
the current Tomcat trunk.

Think it'll lower down the support questions, because user will
be forced to install the 1.1.8 version instead wondering why
the previous version doesn't work or eats CPU.

Regards,
Mladen.

Re: Tagging tomcat-native 1.1.8

Posted by Henri Gomez <he...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.
Peter Rossbach wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have test to compile apr at mac os x 10.4..8 intel and get following
> warning:
>
> src/network.c:449: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 2 of
> 's->net->send' differ in signedness

OK. This should be resolved. Rely don't understand the vast
universe of compilers that could impose such a warning.
The unsigned char should always be mapped to char without warning.
I really see no how the size of 'unsigned char' and size of 'char'
could be different so that warning could be issued. Weired!

> Other problem is that poller are not created:
>
> 11.12.2006 20:17:26 org.apache.tomcat.util.net.AprEndpoint allocatePoller
> INFO: Failed to create poller with specified size of 8192

Looks like OS/X doesn't allow default 8192 poller size.
The solution is either to increase the ulimit or add the pollerSize="xxx"
to the APR connector.

Can you see what is default maximum limit for that by lowering down the
pollerSize in 1024 decrements on OS/X, so we can make that OS related like
on WIN32/WIN64? If it's only ulimit dependent, then no patch should be
needed.

Posted by Peter Rossbach <pr...@objektpark.de>.
Hi

I have test to compile apr at mac os x 10.4..8 intel and get
following warning:

/bin/sh /Users/peter/develop/tools/local/tomcat55//build-1/libtool --
silent --mode=compile gcc -g -O2   -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DDARWIN -
DSIGPROCMASK_SETS_THREAD_MASK -no-cpp-precomp   -g -O2 -
DHAVE_OPENSSL   -I/Users/peter/develop/projects/tomcat/tomcat55/
connectors/jni/native/include -I/System/Library/Frameworks/
JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5/Home/include -I/Users/peter/develop/
tools/local/tomcat55/include  -I/Users/peter/develop/tools/local/
tomcat55//include/apr-1   -o src/network.lo -c src/network.c && touch
src/network.lo
src/network.c: In function 'Java_org_apache_tomcat_jni_Socket_send':
src/network.c:442: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 2 of
's->net->send' differ in signedness
src/network.c:449: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 2 of
's->net->send' differ in signedness
src/network.c: In function 'Java_org_apache_tomcat_jni_Socket_recvt':
src/network.c:722: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 2 of
's->net->recv' differ in signedness
src/network.c:729: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 2 of
's->net->recv' differ in signedness

Other problem is that poller are not created:

11.12.2006 20:17:26 org.apache.tomcat.util.net.AprEndpoint
allocatePoller
INFO: Failed to create poller with specified size of 8192
11.12.2006 20:17:26 org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11AprProtocol start
INFO: Starting Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-7380
11.12.2006 20:17:26 org.apache.tomcat.util.net.AprEndpoint
allocatePoller
INFO: Failed to create poller with specified size of 8192
11.12.2006 20:17:26 org.apache.coyote.ajp.AjpAprProtocol start
INFO: Starting Coyote AJP/1.3 on ajp-7309

Regards
Peter

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Posted by David Rees <dr...@gmail.com>.
On 12/11/06, Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org> wrote:
> > Anyhow, this should at least be clearly documented if not enforced.
>
> There's no changelog for native that I could find, which should be
> fixed.

+1 for that, I was looking for a tc-native changelog a while back to
figure out if I need to be running the latest or not, but was unable
to find anything at all related to documentation of tc-native.

-Dave

Re: Tagging tomcat-native 1.1.8

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
Mladen Turk wrote:
>> So I am against this plan. I've stated my position already: unless
>> there's an API change that was needed, the minimum version number
>> should not be upgraded.
>>

> Also fine. The problem we have is the 1.1.5 that eats the CPU.
> The 1.1.3 as minimum means that any version up to recommended is
> allowable, which is not the real case.

If that's what you want to do, and since I am not contributing to
native, I can't legitimately prevent you from doing it.

> Anyhow, this should at least be clearly documented if not enforced.

There's no changelog for native that I could find, which should be
fixed. There's also a source duplication at the moment (these sources do
not seem to be updated:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tc6.0.x/trunk/native/connector).

Rémy

Re: Tagging tomcat-native 1.1.8

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.
Remy Maucherat wrote:
> Mladen Turk wrote:
>
> My little tweak will most likely be ported back to 5.5.x. As a result,
> when you install a new build, you'll get a warning, and the code will
> not use the problematic method by default. As a result, the forced
> upgrade is a waste of time for most.

OK.

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.